The sickest drives on the new GGP course

Here is the place to leave feedback on the Golden Gate Park Disc Golf Course. Go ahead, tell us what you think.

The sickest drives on the new GGP course

Postby pepe » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:55 am

#17. Uh best of luck to you threading this needle on a consistent basis. Sure once you make it through you may be golden but I see many a bogey happening from this elevated tee box.

#12. Open wide. Say ah. Now rip. Across the valley, but not too far, or else you'll end up on a thorny hillside that eats plastic. How to throw this? Straight hyzer for a righty? Ok, what about when its in the deep position? What now smart guy?

#15. Nice elevated box with a somewhat narrow tunnel throw across the promise land. Easy right? Well, to make a birdie on this one you had better bring your straight cheese, because you deviate from the gun barrel at all, and you're smacking a mature pine tree and heading towards the meadow...and OB.

#6. ah six. that filler hole between 5 and 7. Not anymore. As peeps will see when the course opens early 2007(SHAMELESS PLUG FOR ALL OF YOU DISC GOLFERS TO GET YOUR ASSES OUT AND HELP BUILD THIS THING. WE NEED MORE VOLUNTEERS SO THAT WE CAN PLAY THIS GEM SOONER!) six has been redesigned to kick your *( | )*. The tee box is set sort of where the 5b pin used to be, adding more tree hazards, distance, and uphill elevation to a hole that needed a bit more sompin sompin.

What you got???
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby ross » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:53 pm

Good luck threading the needle on 5, esp. to the deep pins. And #4, though the same hole, will still frsutrate those who feel they should birdie a 230 foot hole every time.
ross
SFDGC Club Hero

Postby pepe » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:56 pm

Yup. Par will be way down at this course.
Birdie holes: 1, 2, 8, 9, 10, 11?, 16?
Bogey holes: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18.

My guess is that a 54 will be a good score on the new course. And a 48 will be sweet.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby pepe » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:26 pm

I'm still wondering how the heck anyone's gonna birdie 12 long. Or 5 Long. I think I birdied 5 long once from the blue tee back in the day. But that was it! Same for 7 long.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby pepe » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:37 pm

Well, after playing the back last weekend (THANK YOU LES & ANN FOR THE BASKET!), I can truly say this is a world class course.

I was with a group of 5 other golfers, regulars at GGP, and we sprayed discs all over the place. Yeah, its fair to say that even pros will have a hard time with the back when the placements are long.

11: very fun throw. Pretty simple in the A position. Stick a mid range overstable through the window and watch it sail towards the pin. In the B, you need something VERY overstable. For a righty that is...

12: We played to the B position and this is a rather large rip. I had my wraith sail perfectly towards the sand hill and finally flex just beyond the A position. My drive was the best one though, and many people will bogey this hole when its in the long position. I did because I suck at putting.

13: uh good luck with this gnarly hole. Uphill, tiny window, lots of *caca* to maneuver through. Everyone bogeyed the C position, which you can see from the tee pad giving it added bonus points in my book

15: beauty at its best, yet still difficult to navigate. I suggest a ripping midrange

16: fun fun fun and a huge rip to get close to the basket here

17: the beast. Just try to make it through that narrow assed window. Just sick. Careful of putting your drives too far to the left, or else you'll end up in jail

18: when its short, its a pretty straightforward midrange rip. Long, fahgetabboutit. You must have the perfect drive to come close. That means a perfectly thrown anhyzing shot that has tree-dar.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby ben » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:43 am

pepe wrote:I'm still wondering how the heck anyone's gonna birdie 12 long. Or 5 Long. I think I birdied 5 long once from the blue tee back in the day. But that was it! Same for 7 long.

I agree that 12 long is a KILLER two for whoever can make that happen. 5 long isn't quite so bad, though- yesterday for the weekly and another round afterwards, I hit metal/chains for what would have been birdie both rounds. First round it was about an 80 foot run from the top of the stairs down to hole 6 that hit the top of the basket, second round it was a wide open 45 footer that hit right chains and popped out(after probably my best drive ever on the hole).
ben
Decent Individual

Postby hrc333 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:36 am

So playing all the C's yesterday was interesting.  I played two rounds before we moved the baskets back and here are my thoughts:

5c:  This played easier for me than either of the groups I played with.  The threat of OB is what really makes this hole hard.  One tree hit and you will be looking at a 5 easily.

12c:  This hole is long and hard.  No one parred this in either group I played with.  You must land around the A position or beyond, to have any shot at par.  If you are on the hill side, you are going to have to make a few shots to save a 4.  Even with a good drive of the tee you are still left with a long uphill narrow approach shot, just to have a put at par.  I would say that toughest natural hole on the course (No OB in play.)

14c:  This played really hard.  The OB is always in play, even when putting.  I expect that you will see more P's on this hole than on any other hole of the course.  In my morning group we had 4 p's between 3 golfers.  OUCH!!!

17c:  A narrow long drive.  The pin is well protected so you are going to need a clean up shot to have a par put.  I heard there was one birdie on this hole yesterday with a long up shot going in.  The fact that this hole is down hill takes some of the bit of this hole.  A great hole but not the hardest.

Before yesterday I thought the hardest hole on the course was 17c, but I think that has to goto 12c.  Both 14c & 5c have the potential to take OB penalties and this will drive scores up on both holes.  I saw a lot of P's on 14c yesterday and I suspect that this will have higher scores than 5c.

***As a side not, most of these pin placements will only be in play during the weekly.  So come out on a Sunday morning and check out some of the longer holes on the course.***
hrc333
SFDGC Club Hero

Postby pepe » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:50 am

5c: you saw my drive yesterday. Looked good right? Wrong. Hit the base of the last tree (otherwise I'm looking GOOD for a birdie bid, and at worst a par) and rolled down the hill. OB. *the author has tried to use the f-word here, unsuccessfully, and has forfeited his bag tag*...

8c: like the musical: anything goes. Hello Lost and found.

10c: when will I ever see you in this pin position?

12C: now that we've cleared the left side of the fairway, it's definitlely easier to hit par from there.

13c: still marvelling about how Jeff david put his drive on the path. How the hell did he do that?

14c: Ross is right: this is the premiere disc golf shot on the course. So much trouble, but oh so pretty.

18C: same as 10 C
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby jonah » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:23 am

I got par on 14 yesterday after a drive down off the hill to the pin of 11! Thumber up and out of hell over the tee of 15 to save par. Missed 5 putts from inside the 25', really should have been a 4-5 down. Held onto a meager 2 down throughout the back until 17 stole one more from me. Fun as hell though. Had a great time, and a picture perfect beautiful day. Almost like the course was glowing with energy and smiling all day.
jonah
Forum Noob

Postby hrc333 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:40 pm

pepe wrote:

When you get out there and wheel some chips up to the location.  8)
hrc333
SFDGC Club Hero

Postby pepe » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:58 pm

hrc333 wrote:
pepe wrote:

When you get out there and wheel some chips up to the location.  8)

will that finally earn me the right to carry a key for the baskets?
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby P3 » Fri May 25, 2007 1:49 am

I have birdied 5c(my favorite hole, well maybe 3c), nearly aced/birdied 7c(before the weekly of course), birdied 17c couple times(flip through the window over 18s tee and fade back in), ran 14c and got a 3p(i've seen both brown and brenner birdie it though), 12c is long but i am getting closer to the b location....if you can get it there you got an easy par.  i would say 5c, 7c, & 17c are the tightest lines, but all make able. 12c is definitely the hardest to make birdie though.  My best score has been a -9, mostly in the Bs. i am sure there have been lower scores....
P3
Decent Individual

Return to Reviews