Coming to the Worlds from Europe

This is a place for club members to talk all things Disc Golf and all things non Disc Golf.

Coming to the Worlds from Europe

Postby schmoove » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:55 am

Dear Californians,

We are five people from Bremen, Germany. Three adults (37,36,33) and two kids (3 1/2 and 5). Max and his daughter Maya, Stella, Sebastian and their daughter Matilda. Max and Sebastian are disc-golfers since many years and are going to the Worlds. We are planning to travel before the start of the Worlds and we are looking for local players to show us their favorite courses. Maybe you have family with kids too? Maybe you have recommendations for nice places to stay. We are planing to show up around July 16th to stay for about one month. We will start in San Francisco and will come to the Monterey Bay area the beginning of August. We could imagine to go camping, to rent a small hut or to be your guest. We are also considering to rent a camper-van, if you happen to know any good deals. We are looking forward to hearing from you with any suggestions you might have for us.

Kind regards,
Stella, Sebastian, Max, Matilda and Maya
schmoove
Forum Noob

Re: Coming to the Worlds from Europe

Postby doublejack » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:19 pm

Welcome! Don't miss the chance to play Stafford Lake in Novato while you're in San Francisco. It's about a 50 minute drive from SF, but very worth it.
Well done is better than well said. - Ben Franklin
doublejack
NorCal Champ

Postby geo » Fri May 06, 2011 1:09 pm

That sounds like an exciting month of traveling and golf. If you're going to be here for that long you'll have plenty of time to enjoy the courses Norcal has to offer. Stafford Lake, as mentioned before, is an amazing place to play--a lot of hiking. If time allows on your trip, I'd recommend heading up to Lake Tahoe and playing Bijou and Zephyr Cove. Lake Tahoe is one of the most beautiful places in the the summer/fall. There are 3 other courses as well, one on the north shore, and two at Ski resorts that are open for golf in the summer--Kirkwood and Squaw Valley. Tahoe takes over 3 hrs to drive to from S.F but well worth it. Out in the wine country there is Skyline Wilderness Park in Napa. Challenging course with beautiful views and a lot of elevation changes in the course--quite the hike. Across the Bay from S.F is Aquatic Park in Berkeley which can be a very challenging course in the wind and has a lot of water--about a half an hour from S.F. There are two 9 hole courses in San Jose, about 45-60 minutes from S.F.--Helleyer and La Razza. Helleyer is smaller with reachable holes but still fun. La Razza is a very challenging course with length. Just over the hill from there is Santa Cruz and the rest of the worlds courses. Aptos High School is a blast of a course and I'd recommend stopping by there--10 minutes past S.C. There are plenty of courses to fill up your month.

As for lodging, I'd recommend looking into KOA campgrounds. They are all over California and offer tent camping, RV parking, or cabin rentals. There are numerous camp grounds in the Santa Cruz hills and around--my friend goes to Mt. Madonna. I'd also check out Craig's List for vacation rentals or VRBO.com. You might be able to space out rentals around the areas over the month.

Hope this helps a little, there's a lot more info I haven't covered but if you have any more questions post away! I can wait to play in Worlds and I think every one who makes the trip out here will be blown away by the quality of courses and the amount of fun things to do between rounds for friends and family. Cheers!
geo
Decent Individual

Postby Billym » Mon May 16, 2011 12:35 pm

We have a weekly league at Aquatic Park in Berkeley every Wednesday around 5PM; this is the best way to play the course the first time. Otherwise hit me up and maybe I can arrange a tour.

A lot of visitors to California from Europe use this RV rental company;
http://www.cruiseamerica.com/

You're going to have a very fun time in NorCal!
Billym
Decent Individual

Postby Sylviabb » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:04 am

I'm new here, hope you happy time :P
Sylviabb
Forum Noob

Return to General Disc-ussion