PDGA rules

This is a place for club members to talk all things Disc Golf and all things non Disc Golf.

PDGA rules

Postby Stick » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:25 am

I recently looked at a current rulebook and it seems that most of us have been playing the OB rule wrong. According to the rules the OB line is OUT. You have to be completely inbounds to not receive a penalty. I would assume we should be playing the weekly according to PDGA rules.
Stick
NorCal Champ

Re: PDGA rules

Postby jacks » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:57 am

This is a great point Stick. The problem we have at Golden Gate is that our OB "lines" are ~4 inches thick. In the Safari, the organizers do a fantastic job of lining the peeler core with pink lines on the outside edge.

Should we then consider the outside edge of the peeler core, the OB line? Or is the inside edge of the peer core the OB line? Or is the peeler core itself the line?

If the lines from the Safari are an indicator (and subsequently the outside edge is the line), then nothing really changes from the status quo as almost every throw would have some part of the disc past the slim edge of the peeler core.

If the peeler core itself becomes the "line", then we would have to make some changes as several throws land on the path with a only small portion of the disc resting on the peeler core.

Thoughts?
jacks
President

Postby jacks » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:43 pm

BTW, I don't think per your post that you have to be completely in-bounds. The only change is that the line itself is OB. See excerpt below:

803.09 Out-of-Bounds

A. A disc shall be considered out-of-bounds only when it comes to rest and it is clearly and
completely surrounded by the out-of-bounds area
. A disc thrown in water shall be deemed to be
at rest once it is floating or is moving only by the action of the water or the wind on the
water. See section 803.03 F. The out-of-bounds line itself is considered out-of --bounds. In order to
consider the disc as out-of bounds, there must be reasonable evidence that the disc came to rest within the out-of-bounds area. In the absence of such evidence, the disc will be considered lost and the player will proceed according to rule 803.11B.
jacks
President

Postby pepe » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:53 pm

The outer edge of the peeler core, but not the core itself, represents the OB.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby doublejack » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:05 pm

Just to be clear: Going by the outer-edge interpretation, then, if a disc is touching the peeler core at all (or breaking the vertical plain of the outside edge thereof), it is in-bounds.
Well done is better than well said. - Ben Franklin
doublejack
NorCal Champ

Postby pepe » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:34 am

That's correct DJ. If the disc is touching the peeler core or would touch it if one to were draw a line between them, it is in bounds. The line itself is an imaginary border parallel to the peeler core's outer edge but never actually touching it. There's a geometric term for that, but I can't recall what it is for the life of me.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby Stick » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:02 pm

If the disc has to be entirely OB then what is the purpose of the "line itself is OB"? It would only apply to a disc that is only touching the OB line and the OB. Not impossible but not likely.
Stick
NorCal Champ

Postby les swift » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:11 am

it would seem to apply mainly to those wide spray paint lines. in the paint and beyond...OB.
les swift
Badass Mofo

Postby SundayForever » Tue May 10, 2011 12:37 am

That's correct DJ. If the disc is touching the peeler core or would touch it if one to were draw a line between them, it is in bounds. The line itself is an imaginary border parallel to the peeler core's outer edge but never actually touching it. There's a geometric term for that, but I can't recall what it is for the life of me.
SundayForever
Forum Noob

Postby todd » Tue May 10, 2011 9:20 am

I would have to disagree with some of the posters here regarding our peeler core OB line. With the new PDGA ruling that the OB line is out, this means the whole width of the peeler core is out. In order for you to be in bounds you would have to break the inside plane of the PC. You can check the link here at PDGA. There is a very clear diagram that explains this. http://www.pdga.com/ob-one-can-know-thee

803.09A (cont.) The out-of-bounds line itself is considered out-of-bounds.

This simple statement seems to baffle even experienced players, possibly because our OB lines can be all widths from razor thin edges to thick uneven lines and comprised of all kinds of materials from posts to curbs to fences to paint and to string. http://www.pdga.com/ob-one-can-know-thee
If it ain't coffee, its beer!
todd
NorCal Champ

Postby geo » Tue May 31, 2011 9:30 am

Any decision made by SFDGC on the OB line? I personally have played the outer edge of the peeler core is the OB line along with most everyone else but I would agree now that according to the new rule the peeler core itself is OB similar to if you spray painted a line on the ground--the line itself is OB. I think the governing body will need to make it clear on how to play this as most use the outer edge as OB.
geo
Decent Individual

Postby todd » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:08 am

first and foremost, its up to the golfer to understand and follow the rules provided by the pdga for tournament play. the club defers to the pdga rules.

in terms of our league weeklies, i think it goes without saying that the golfers that are participating should follow the pdga rules and teach others that are unfamiliar with them. however, this isn't always easy. we have a large club, with a wide range of skill level and interest. so not everyone is going to know all the rules. but because OB comes into play often at GGP its is certainly a good thing to discuss.

thanks to stick for starting the thread. he is correct in his assumption that we should be playing the weeklies with the new OB ruling.
If it ain't coffee, its beer!
todd
NorCal Champ

Postby breazealeian » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:13 pm

Guys and Gals,

Todd is correct. An easy way to think about this is that some of your disc has to be laying on on hanging over the fairway. At least some of the disc has to cross the inner ob line into the field of play. If your disc is only touching or on the outer edge or middle of the Peeler Core, none of it is in the fairway, so you are OB. Part of your disc has to be inbounds/in the fairway. This rule changed at the beginning of the last PDGA season. There is no imaginary line on an outer edge, or anything like that. I like this rule change. It is more straight forward and less open to player interpretation.

Greg B
Sometimes you just gotta throw that Gator!
breazealeian
Helluva Human

Postby dantarango » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:34 am

But it was stated earlier that the peeler core is considered in bounds, so with that the peeler core is part of the fairway.
Lefty Love
dantarango
NorCal Champ

Postby PeterT » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:39 pm

Just to add something else to consider, as far as the Marx Meadow OB along the fairway of 15/16 goes, if the OB "line" is now out of bounds, and a few 24" pine tree trunks define the OB line, then a disc would have to be completely inside of a line connecting the inside (fairway side) of the tree's trunks to be considered inbounds. Is that right? And as for any stone OB markers, the inside face of the stones would define the line, correct?

I think this question goes well beyond peeler cores.
PeterT
(throws minis)

Next

Return to General Disc-ussion