sf dg info for new resident?

This is the forum to view scores from and discuss the Sunday Weekly.

sf dg info for new resident?

Postby mharperalexander » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:46 pm

new to the city - so, there's a weekly discgolf tourney? sundays in gg park? anyone welcome? fee?

i used to play a lot in Atlanta (played ultimate for ~15 yrs too), but haven't in several years. would love to get back into it... any info appreciated...

thanks,
harper
mharperalexander
Forum Noob

Re: sf dg info for new resident?

Postby joegraham » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:49 pm

Every Sunday. Rolling tee times between 8:30 and 10:00. Handicap. Play three times to set your handicap and play against everyone, so all skill levels are welcome and can actually compete. Ace pool. Tons of fun and good comraderie. Where were you last Sunday for the annual bag tag tournament. 158 players, so when you join next you're looking at #159 and up.
bang da chains
joegraham
Helluva Human

Postby mharperalexander » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:53 pm

cool - thanks, joe.

i'm not terribly familiar with how handicaps work in discgolf or golf. would this mean i come in assumed to be the 159th best player in the group and then after three outings i get a ranking?

also, rolling tee time means i can show up anywhere in that window?
mharperalexander
Forum Noob

Postby joegraham » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Yes, any time in that window. Hang out and ask if anyone needs another for their group. Very cool people and you can play with anyone. Handicaps even it out and you can compete with everyone. It is based on how over or under the average scores for each week. See the top posts in this thread to find the handicap explanied discussion. Usually 2 to 3 under cashes. Hopefully someone will be at weeklys with sign ups and tags for a while. We just had our annual bag tag tournament and we're ranked based on that result. Future members get the next # available. Play each other for the lowest tag in your group. Have fun. :mrgreen:
bang da chains
joegraham
Helluva Human

Postby Stick » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:13 pm

Hey Harper,
Welcome to SF. I think we actually know each other. I'm from Georgia and played alot of summer league Ultimate. I also played for Chain Lightning for 10 years than for Ring of Fire after that.
Sunday weekly is alot of fun, it's like a mini tournament every week and everyone has a chance to win cash. The handicap is a little different than a real one but it works great. I'm an early riser so I get there around 7:30 to get warmed up and try to be one of the first groups out. You can usually get a quick round in that way. If you tee off towards 10:00 it gets a little crowded and a round could take longer, especially when the weather gets nice. There's usually a couple of us that play together regularly and you welcome to join us anytime. We aren't exclusive and try to play with different people to keep the bag tags floating around. Over the last 2-3 years the club has become closer together as friends so everyone is alot of fun to play with. I look forward to seeing you around the course.
Tags give you a reason to play competitive golf with out putting up cash. They don't really tell who the best golfers are. That's usually reflected in the league standings.
Stick
Stick
NorCal Champ

Postby Orion » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:33 am

Right on Stick! I could not have put it better myself. Way to be a ambassador for DG in the Bay Area and even more so to give the SFDGC the respect that it deserves.

Hey new guy, come out to a weekly and join in the fun, we are a great club with great members how all enjoy disc golf and what it has to offer.
Orion
Nebula

Return to League Play