How is a walking putt Legal??? somebody please explain...

This is a place for club members to talk all things Disc Golf and all things non Disc Golf.

How is a walking putt Legal??? somebody please explain...

Postby bizzle » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:03 am

Alright, here's a disc golf nerd rule book question?? There are professional players who have developed a walking putt<i.e. a putt where from outside 10 meters the rear leg is extended forward of the marker disc, then the disc is released, making your rear foot your new plant foot as you lunge forward towards the basket, you appear to be "walking" toward your target. While the putt is deadly accurate from long distance and taking quite some skill to execute properly, I don't see how it's legal...here's what the PDGA rulebook says-

803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off

A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line
of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in
803.04 E); and,
(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole
than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
(3) have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds.

B. Stepping past the marker disc is permitted after the disc is released, except when
putting within 10 meters.

C. Any throw from within 10 meters or less, as measured from the rear of the marker disc
to the base of the hole, is considered a putt. A follow-through after a putt that causes the
thrower to make any supporting point contact closer to the hole than the rear edge of the
marker disc constitutes a falling putt and is considered a stance violation . The player must demonstrate full
control of balance before advancing toward the hole.

It looks like in order to execute this putt correctly, you need to release before any point crosses the marker plain, and that's not how I sees it...I'm calling foot faults!!
I Heart Beagles!"
bizzle
Decent Individual

Re: How is a walking putt Legal??? somebody please explain...

Postby zz » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:56 am

The key is releasing the disc before your foot that is in front of the marker touches the ground. That foot is not a supporting point until then so its legal. The key word is "stepping" in the phrase your referenced. Its the same as having a foot or hand in front of the tee box or off the box. Its legal as long as its not a supporting point.
zz
Helluva Human

Postby ben » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:12 pm

Yeah, what Nick said. By 'stepping', they imply touching that leg's foot to the ground specifically, not just bringing the leg in front of your supporting point. As long as the only supporting point is legal(on a 30cm line behind the marker) at the point that the disc is released, then it's legit. Definitely looks shady the first few times you see it, though!

I don't have a link handy to any video, but three pros who seem to use this style to great effect are Paul Ulibarri, John Gregory, and Dave Feldberg.
ben
Decent Individual

Postby joegraham » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:36 pm

It isn't a "putt" by definition. Outside 10 meters, it's an approach shot that you can walk up to and follow through past the marker. It is a good technique to throw a lob shot or nose down shot that doesn't go too far if missed.
bang da chains
joegraham
Helluva Human

Postby breazealeian » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:03 pm

Trying to hate on that game huh Bizzle. The previous posters are correct. As long as the foot that is stepping in front of the lie is not touching the ground when the putt is released, your supporting point is still the foot behind the mini and behind the lie. Instead of hating on them, why don't you use them. In fact, why don't you try them in a round lets say thursday at Berkeley. Hit me up du.
Sometimes you just gotta throw that Gator!
breazealeian
Helluva Human

Postby Stick » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:45 am

Same thing applies to a "jump" putt. One foot must be in contact with the ground, behind the marker or disc before the disc is released. If they jump, then putt call the foot foul.
Stick
NorCal Champ

Postby geo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:55 am

That's another can of worms that you probably don't want to open- It's been discussed on the PDGA site for years(jump putt). The walking putt is legal but weird--everybody's right, no contact past your mini and you're o.k. Just call them on a courtesy violation for having such a strange style and everything will be ok. :0
geo
Decent Individual

Postby breazealeian » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:00 am

Played with Bizzle today and he canned a 70 ft "walking jump putt". He was my doubles partner at the time so I didn't give him too much crap about it, but come on. REALLY!
Sometimes you just gotta throw that Gator!
breazealeian
Helluva Human

Return to General Disc-ussion