Extraordinary Progress this Weekend!

This is the place for all background information on the course construction, a list of material needs, a place to let us know what skills and contacts you can provide, and related discussion regarding the construction of the Golden Gate Park Disc Golf Course."

Extraordinary Progress this Weekend!

Postby ross » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:19 pm

For those of you who were not there this weekend, I just wanted to give you a short update on what happened and what's next:

Between Saturday and Sunday we had over 70 people show up to help build the disc golf course. While not underestimating the huge amount of work ahead of us, we made enormous progress this weekend! We sunk posts for retaining walls on Holes 2,3,4,7,8,11,15,16 &18 and managed to build the walls on holes 2,3,4,7&8. We also collected and carted off over 45(!) bags of garbage from the gully on Hole 12, cleared out a lot of dead fennel and other debris from said gully and reinforced the hills on holes 4&5 with dead branches to prevent future erosion. A huge THANK YOU to everyone who came out to help -- we look forward to seeing you (and many others) out there again this coming weekend.

Speaking of which... this weekend (Oct. 21&22) we will try to finish off the rest of the retaining walls (walls on holes 11,15,16 & 18, as well as posts and wall on hole 12) and backfill them. That should end up taking up most of the weekend. Time and volunteers permitting we *may* start properly digging out the tees.

IF YOU TOOK PHOTOS this weekend, please share them with the Club. We will create a gallery for the best ones in the coming week.

Alos, please feel free to share any thoughts, impressions, suggestions for improvement etc. here. Remember, this is supposed to be a a discussion forum, not an announmcement forum!

Thanks again to everyone who came out!

Ross
ross
SFDGC Club Hero

Postby CRIM » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:17 pm

That is awesome Ross! I am really excited for the community to rally and come back around this course. Makes me miss living in the city.

I saw the day clicker is almost a year since the baskets came out. All in all, not that much time was wasted in getting it all finalized. And now we can see how cool this course can actually be... 18 holes, concrete tee pads, signage, well defined pathways. Can you say 'world class'?

Congrats and thanks to the select few who stepped it up/stuck it out over the last year, you know who you are!
CRIM
Forum Noob

Postby hrc333 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:48 pm

Here are the actual amount of volunteer hours we put in this weekend. As Ross stated we did an amazing amount of work this weekend. But it is also clear that we have a lot of work ahead of us.

Saturday: 277.5 hours from 48 people.
Sunday: 154.25 hours from 31 people.

I am not sure of the exact count but we had to do over 30 bags of trash from the fairway for 12 alone. People did a great job of clear both the trash and the 'hobbit hole' homeless camp from this fairway.

Again from the fairway from hole 12. We had clear over 2 huge piles of brush off the fairway from 12. Luckily this is the only hole that involves a lot of clearing. Another crew cleared a massive amount of Ivy of trees on the fairway to 11 to give a great look from the tee.

Here is the retaining wall posts going in on hole 18. For those of you who did not make it out, we are going to have some very nice looking retainwalls to give us level tee pads and to prevent erosion. They are going to look incredible when they are completed.
hrc333
SFDGC Club Hero

Re: Extraordinary Progress this Weekend!

Postby Q » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:39 pm

Michele, Ryder, Tolstoy & I got out for an hour this afternoon to walk the course. Impressive, all the way around. The amount of work done is amazing, as is the workmanship.

Those retaining walls look tight, very professional. It is very obvious that when the course opens up it is going to be mind-blowingly cool.

Major props to all!
Greg - Q -
Club Founder
"I went to play golf and tried to shoot my age, and shot my weight instead." - Bob Hope
Q
Decent Individual

Yo photo

Postby rabblerowser » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:14 pm

Hey - how do I get photos to you? just attach em to an email?
rabblerowser
Forum Noob

More pictures please!

Postby tmoney » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:37 pm

I'd love to see some pictures of the work completed thus far! There's been a lot of progress, I have the scars to prove it! I beg everyone to come out and work so we can go throw discs sooner!
tmoney
Forum Noob

Postby pepe » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:47 pm

so what's on the agenda this weekend kitty kats?

Them retaining walls sure look purty!
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby hrc333 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:04 am

We have to finish the retaining walls and finish back filling, putting down base rock and tamping. We also may start building frames for the concrete pour if we have a lot of volunteers.
hrc333
SFDGC Club Hero

Return to Course Construction