Some advice for my trip.....

This is a place for club members to talk all things Disc Golf and all things non Disc Golf.

Some advice for my trip.....

Postby Canadiandiscgolfer » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:58 am

I'm coming from Vancouver, BC to hang out for a few days while my wife works in Emeryville. So I'm looking to play some disc golf during the days. I'll be in Emeryville. So in looking up courses, I've noticed the Golden Gate course and the Berkeley Aquatic Parc course.

I was excited about the Aquatic Parc 'cause it seemed so close to where I was staying, but then found some reviews that talked more about gay sex in the bushes than the disc golf, which makes me not want to go there alone.

I won't be driving. How is the transit system to get from Emeryville to Golden Gate Park? Should I be worried about the Aquatic Center? Is there any other easily accessable courses around? Is there any day time golfers? Any other advice that anyone wants to give me???

After her work, for the weekend we'll be staying in San Fran and gonna see some music at the Fillmore and Great American Music Hall (Disco Biscuits, Keller Williams).

Thanks.
Canadiandiscgolfer
Forum Noob

Re: Some advice for my trip.....

Postby Canadiandiscgolfer » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:11 am

Or at least can someone let me know if it's sketchy to go to the Aquatic Center disc golf course alone during the day?
Canadiandiscgolfer
Forum Noob

Postby ben » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:30 am

Aquatic is safe to visit alone during the day. Yes, there are gentlemen seeking the casual comfort of other gentlemen in the bushes on the south side of the park. As a local, I can tell you that it's pretty easy to ignore.

The bigger issue with the course is the pedestrian path that runs through the middle of many fairways. If you're there during a weekday it shouldn't be too bad, however. Bring a couple of discs you don't mind losing into the water - there are several shots where the best line to the pin requires you to aim out over the marina. If you're walking over to the park from Emeryville, you should know that the south side of the park(closest to Emeryville) is where the back 9 starts. Hole 1 is at the far northern end of the park, right near the parking lot on that side.

Go to www.ebdgc.org to download/print a course map before you go, the course is not easy to follow for a first timer without a map.

Golden Gate is a better disc golf course in most respects- I would definitely recommend that you try to get across the bay and check it out. I know that there are transbay buses, but I have never taken one.

I would be happy to answer any other specific questions you have about the two courses.
ben
Decent Individual

Postby jacks » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:09 pm

Hey Canadiandiscgolfer, welcome to the Bay.

I echo the thoughts about the Aquatic Park from the previous poster. I like the course but you can lose your discs easily as there are several shots over water with typical high winds. I've never seen my XCalibur flip like it did in Berkeley.

The SFDGC course in Golden Gate Park is beautiful. In addition, on a daily basis there are several golfers playing doubles, skins, tag matches, etc. It's a great opportunity to meet locals and get a tour of the course. I would highly recommend visiting. PM me if you come into the city and we can meet up for a round.

Also, about an hour or so from the city is Stafford Lake and DeLaveaga which fall into the top 10 courses in the country for many players. We take trips out there from time to time.

See you out there!
jacks
President

Postby Canadiandiscgolfer » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:07 am

Thanks for the info.... It even though I'll be staying quite close to the Aquatic Park (relatively), I think I'll be making my way out to the Golden Gate Park. I have heard great things about it from some friends in my neck of the woods!
Canadiandiscgolfer
Forum Noob

Postby PeterT » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:19 pm

Also, if you get a chance, check out the Moraga disc golf course. Although only a nine hole course, it is in a nice park setting with recently upgraded tee pads, and some currently long and challenging pin placements. Moraga Commons Park is only about 15 minutes southeast of Emeryville.

Not sure about the public transportation here, although BART will get you to Orinda or Lafayette and there must be a bus running to Moraga from either of these locations. Your closest BART station to Emeryville is the MacArthur station. This may also be your best way into San Francisco, but once again, you will have to find a Muni bus or taxi from BART to Golden Gate Park.
PeterT
(throws minis)

Return to General Disc-ussion