McLaren Update & Work Party Info

This is a place for club members to talk all things Disc Golf and all things non Disc Golf.

McLaren Update & Work Party Info

Postby hrc333 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:08 pm

Here is the post many of you have been waiting for. We are starting to work with parks department on a NEW DISC GOLF course in McLaren park!!! Over the past few months I have had 4 very good and productive meetings with Parks Dept. staff about the construction of a course in McLaren Park. We are continuing to discuss the exact area that will be used for disc golf but I am very pleased at this point with the progress we are making.

As we begin to move forward with constructing a second disc golf course in San Francisco at McLaren park it is important that we reach out to the community and the parks department. Many people who are involved with McLaren park are not familiar with the SFDGC and have some naturally skeptical concerns about the construction of a new disc golf course in the park.

With this in mind, it is extremely important that we as a Club start to become more involved in McLaren Park. We need to show that we are committed to be good stewards and an active part of the McLaren Park community. This will involve attending community meetings, McLaren park clean up days and restoration projects.

The first event that I would like us to attend is a restoration work party put on by the natural area section of the parks department. This is a great first step to show the department and the community our excitement and commitment level to McLaren Park.

When: Saturday October 10th, 10am - 12pm
Where: McLaren Park (exact location in the park to follow)

If you can commit to helping on October 10th please reply to me by the end of this week (September 27th) and let me know as I have to let Parks & Rec know how many people will be showing up. It is EXTREMELY important to our chances of a future course in McLaren park that we show up in force. This is our first really project in McLaren park and I want to make a good (and large) first impression.
hrc333
SFDGC Club Hero

Re: McLaren Update & Work Party Info

Postby joegraham » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:20 pm

I can help! Need any implements (rakes etc.)?
bang da chains
joegraham
Helluva Human

Postby hrc333 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:46 am

I think the city will provide everything we need. Just bring yourself.
hrc333
SFDGC Club Hero

Postby pepe » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:54 am

This is really amazing and the SFDGC needs to show up for this (instead of playing yet another round at GGP...leave it to the rec players for a day ok?). The more people the better.

I think the idea is that we have a planting party. I'm not sure if this will be on the course area or not, but either way, it is smart to plant first. Plants take time to establish themselves and getting them going is a great way to start a course. By the time construction of the course is done, many of the plants may have established themselves.

Seriously...this is MCLAREN PARK that's being discussed here. Get excited!
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby Tim » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:58 pm

I'm in.
Tim
(hasn't paid for 2010 yet)

Postby les swift » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:14 pm

I will hopefully be able to join the crew. Go McLaren!
les swift
Badass Mofo

Postby 7doubleP » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:50 pm

I plan on going.
7doubleP
Forum Noob

Postby hrc333 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:13 pm

I want to invite you all to a work day in McLaren Park this Saturday from 10am - 1pm. This will be our first official activity in McLaren park. We will be working with a gardener to help clean up an area in the park (which is not part of the proposed course). This is our first chance to make a good impression with the gardeners in McLaren as well as with members of the community. So bring your best attitude and be ready to work. (And please leave all your discs at home.) It is this type of foundation-laying work that is essential as we move forward with the McLaren course.

The meeting spot will be Oxford and Bacon Streets. Below are the Volunteer Guidelines for information on what participants should be prepared for. Essentially, everyone should wear close-toed shoes and layers.

Finally, after the work day, for anyone who is interested I will give a quick preview of a few holes that are currently part of the proposed course. (These are far from finalized but it should give you an idea of the type of course we are looking at out there.)

Thanks and hope to see you all out there,
Jeffery

Volunteer Guidelines

Safety:
Wear gloves and use tools provided in ways demonstrated by work crew supervisor.
Eyes before hands. When picking up trash from under bushes, behind trees, and under benches, use the tool provided to pull things out where you can see them. Then pick them up.
Be aware of the locations of other workers and members of the public to ensure your safety and theirs.
Lift with your legs, not your back.
Wear long sleeves, long pants, and closed-toed shoes (ideally boots); you may be working around poison oak or blackberries.
Avoid picking up broken glass and hypodermic needles
Drink water to avoid dehydration.

Work Site:
Stack debris out of the way of public but still accessible to staff trucks. Stack cut branches with butt end to road. Keep bagged trash separate from organic debris, weeds separate from brush. Pile weeds to be picked up in small piles (handled by one swoop of pitchfork) so that staff can easily load truck.
Stow tools properly.
Work in pairs or groups.

Public Relations:
You represent the City's Recreation and Park Department, please be polite and helpful to visitors.
The supervising gardener is your host; respect his/her knowledge and experience. Park gardening is not the same as home gardening. Ask questions and seek assistance when you are not sure.
Help us recruit more volunteers. Bring friends, co-workers, kids, mates.

The work you are doing is important!!
Pulling weeds, and mulching limits use of sprays.
Clean-ups improve the quality of life in neighborhoods.
Volunteers with an understanding of park needs contribute to a supportive and informed constituency.
Volunteers attract other forms of support-in kind donations of services, supplies, and grants.
hrc333
SFDGC Club Hero

Postby Tim » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:01 pm

See you there.
Tim
(hasn't paid for 2010 yet)

Return to General Disc-ussion