PDGA B-Tier at Ryan Ranch

This is a forum to discuss upcoming PDGA tournaments that SFDGC members may be interested in. This is the place to discuss all things related to PDGA/NorCal tournaments.

PDGA B-Tier at Ryan Ranch

Postby faes » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:44 pm

The Monterey Stinging Jellies have put together their first PDGA event at Ryan Ranch. Information and online registration can be found here: http://www.pdga.com/event?TournID=8788

Additional information can be found here: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/montereydiscgolf/

For those of you haven't played the course, I would highly recommend it. Ryan Ranch is a pristine piece of disc golf property, and the Monterey Club can do just about anything they want there. The course has elevation changes, wooded holes, open holes, long, short, par 3, par 4. The course is less than a year old, and is still finding its permanent layout. That said, the 27-hole layout they are using at the moment is pretty amazing. The tournament will play two different 18 hole courses on Saturday (yes, they have enough land for 2 full courses), and one long round of 27 on Sunday.

I'm out of town that weekend and will have to miss it, and that's depressing. I just wanted to make sure that nobody else misses this because they didn't hear about it. Spread the word, and go make this first event a success so that they'll do it again next year when I can play it.
faes
(throws minis)

Re: PDGA B-Tier at Ryan Ranch

Postby doublejack » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:38 pm

Frak it — I just registered. This will be my first PDGA tournament. (Recreational, obviously, but still.)

Thanks for the heads up, Jeff!

I'll probably head down early Wednesday morning, April 1st, to get in a few days' practice on the course. Still figuring out logistics, but going via motorcycle and camping is the plan so far.

FWIW, this will wreck my perfect attendance at the SF weekly — but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. 8)
doublejack
NorCal Champ

Postby pepe » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:43 pm

I'm in as well.

Camping would be sweet, as long as there's not a giant group of Pakistanis behind your tent playing Mafia all night.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby bizzle » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:14 pm

ryan ranch is awsome, i'm going to sign up for that one as well!! i also heard of a oneday at blackmouse, the same weekend of auburn
I Heart Beagles!"
bizzle
Decent Individual

Postby doublejack » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:48 am

It's not a done deal yet, but I'm working on borrowing this bus to take down to Monterey.

It'd make camping a lot more comfortable, but it would be a lot more affordable if I carpooled. To accommodate riders, I can make my schedule flexible, but I'd still prefer to go down either Thursday night or early Friday morning to get plenty of time in on the course before the tournament.

The bus will carry up to about 8 people and plenty of stuff. Again, it's still in the planning stages, so let me know if you might be interested.
Well done is better than well said. - Ben Franklin
doublejack
NorCal Champ

Postby pepe » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:45 pm

If I went in that rig, there'd absolutely be no way I could lose.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby doublejack » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:36 pm

Just throwing it out there:

I'm going to assume that the Freedom Bus won't be available, and camping at Laguna Seca is sounding less appealing to me.

Since I'm (probably) going down early, I might stay at the Monterey Youth Hostel ($28/night for a dorm bed) on Wednesday and Thursday night, but I may also get a room at the motel they recommend ($65/night single, $75/night double) for Friday and/or Saturday night. I'd be open to sharing the room if anyone wants to save some money. (I even have a couple of folding cots to loan out, so no need to share a bed or sleep on the floor.)

Hostel:
http://www.montereyhostel.org/?p=Rooms%20and%20Rates

Motel:
http://www.qualityinn.com/hotel-marina-california-CA887
Well done is better than well said. - Ben Franklin
doublejack
NorCal Champ

Return to PDGA Tournaments