New sign on Hole #2...suggestions?

This is the place to veiw upcoming work parties and report maintenance issues that need to be fixed on the course.

New sign on Hole #2...suggestions?

Postby crosstoby » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:48 pm

The plan is to put a course information sign on the tee box at #2 that will help people to enjoy the course, re-emphasize a few important rules of etiquette and...what else?  The following is a rough draft...guidelines are in no particular order....please make suggestions.

Welcome to the Golden Gate Park Disc Golf Course

The course is maintained jointly by the San Francisco Rec & Park Dept. and volunteers of the San Francisco Disc Golf Club.  Here are a few guidelines to remember as you play:

1) Pedestrians, bicyclists and anybody else not playing disc golf has the right of way.  Wait until it's clear before throwing.
2) Wait until the basket area is clear before teeing off.
3) Help keep the course clean; pack your recycleables and trash out.  (Cigarette butts count as trash.)
4) Play "ready golf" when possible.  Help maintain a good pace of play.
5) Have fun!

If you would like to participate in a work party or if you have a question, please go to www.sfdiscgolf.net for more information.

Thanks for playing the GGP Disc Golf Course, and thanks again for helping to keep the course clean.
crosstoby
President

Postby todd » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:24 am

...looking good.
todd
NorCal Champ

Postby pepe » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:17 pm

6. Keep group sizes small: 5 people maximum

7. Join the SF Disc Golf Club. The club financed, built, and maintains this beatiful course. With your support, we can keep the area clean, safe, and fun for all to enjoy.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:28 pm

Not a big fan of the maximum group size, unless the group isn't letting people that want to, play through.  I have had 6 or 7 a number of times and always wish that rule would be reworded to "if you have more than 4 people please let others play through".  

I don't really think that you need to limit the group size in disc golf, what difference does it make, you're probably going a lot quicker as 6 people than 2 groups of 3, and with 2 groups of 3 you're less apt to be cool with people playing through to separate your group even further.
Tim
(hasn't paid for 2010 yet)

Postby crosstoby » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:52 am

To address group size, Number 4 might be amended to:  

4) Help maintain a good pace of play:
        Play "ready golf" when possible.  
        Let faster groups play through.
crosstoby
President

Postby mgoofy24 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:54 am

I think that group sizes are an issue and should be capped at a maximum.  De La is a good example (where groups of 7 or 8 are common).  These large groups play slow, take lots of time, pose a lot, and generally do not let smaller/faster groups play through.  Yes, we can argue a lot about whether or not large groups will let smaller groups play through, but from my 18+ years of experience in this sport, I can say that a large group is more likely to not let a small group play through than to let them.
mgoofy24
Decent Individual

Postby k3vIn » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:31 am

let's remember that these 'rules' are really only ever going to be suggestions, as we have no effective means of enforcement.

there are always going to be new people out who are just ignorant of the etiquette. I think the sign on tee two will help, as will the positive reinforcement of club members as they interface with those who are new to the sport, and those with less respect for good etiquette.

the reality is that disc golf in sf is not getting any less popular.  but I don't think there is ever going to be a way to cap the number in a group (unless someone wants to sit on the course all day and assign tee times).  I think your example of de la veaga is a good one mgoofy. if the longest standing course in norcal can't find a way to keep group sizes down, how will we at a course that probably sees more people per day?

I do think that a 5 person max group size is a good suggestion.
also think the rest of the sign looks good!
Last edited by k3vIn on Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
k3vIn
(throws minis)

Postby mgoofy24 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:34 am

k3v|n wrote:let's remember that these 'rules' are really only ever going to be suggestions, as we have no effective means of enforcement.

there are always going to be new people out who are just ignorant of the etiquette. I think the sign on tee two will help, as will the positive reinforcement of club members as they interface with those who are new to the sport, and those with less respect for good etiquette.

the reality is that disc golf in sf is not getting any less popular.  but I don't think there is ever going to be a way to cap the number in a group (unless someone wants to sit on the course all day and assign tee times).  I think your example of de la veaga is a good one. if the longest standing course in norcal can't find a way to keep group sizes down, how will we at a course that probably sees more people per day?

true that
mgoofy24
Decent Individual

Postby pepe » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:00 am

Of course people will continue to ignore the group size thing. But I think the point is that we are making etiquitte suggestions here, and a 5 person limit is generally considered the maximum group size on a course at any given time.

Now, I love sometimes playing in that group of 8 when we're playing doubles...but I like to think that we're more courteous than most, letting others play through. This is NOT that case for many of the large mottles of people out there unfortunately.

Besides the group size issue, I think the sign should make little or no mention of parks and rec. They don't do any maitenence any more on the course area. I think there's a great benefit to giving more props to the club as the ones who financed, built, and maintain the course for the enjoyment of the general public. Since I've been selling discs as the throngs of weekenders have begun to discover marx meadow, I've realized that very few know that we were the ones responsible for the course. Most simply think the city made it and takes care of it. Knowing that the club is responsible for the area helps with people buying discs and joining, as well as with packing out the trash. We need to make sure in large font and bold lettering that visitors get this message.
pepe
NorCal Champ

bumpin

Postby crosstoby » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:51 pm

Can you nice people please give this one a little more thought?  Let us know what else you think we should put on this sign.  Thanks--

JT
crosstoby
President

Return to Course Maintenance