What can/can't a TD do with a weekly?

This is the forum to view scores from and discuss the Sunday Weekly.

TD's can make abnormal course changes for the weekly?

yes
75%
no
25%

Total votes : 8

What can/can't a TD do with a weekly?

Postby ¡faes! » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:17 pm

I’m scheduled to TD the weekly this Sunday, and I wanted to make some easy/fun/temporary changes to the course. This would be only for the weekly, and removed immediately after. Please come forward with objections and concerns (or support) because I'm not sure how most players feel about this. I've talked this over with 4-5 people, and all seem in favor...

Really all I want to do is put up a few extra mandatory signs, making the course a little more technical than it already is. I was thinking:

Hole 1: mando left sign on the first, central tree
Hole 3: mando left sign on the first tree near the road, forcing shots away from the road.
Hole 6: mando left sign on the short, dead, totem-pole tree just up the path, forcing shots left of the straight-ahead tunnel
Hole 13: mando left of the tree just barely up the hill, forcing players to attempt the tight tunnel shot directly at 13A.

And that’s all for this week. To me, these all seem like fun, temporary adjustments, and reasonable for all players. I’ll clearly mark every mando tree with cardboard signs and duct tape, and remove them as I play the round with the last group. Also, I plan to use small flags in the ground just beside the mandatory to define drop zones. Each of the 4 adjusted holes will be marked on the score cards, and explained to every player as they sign up in the morning.

I’ve heard that small temporary changes were commonplace during the weeklies on the old 9 hole temp. course. Is there still support for this? It seems fun to me, as long as TDs use reasonable judgment on what is/isn’t fair to all players, and make only a few changes that are clearly defined and easy to follow.
¡faes!
Forum Noob

go for it.

Postby Orion » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:35 am

Those are all great for a weekly.  We used to get crazy on the temp course with different layouts of the course.  My TD's need to have fun with the course.  You have my support!

Orion
Orion
Nebula

Postby todd » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:33 am

Way to think outside the (tee) box.

I'm all for it.
todd
NorCal Champ

Postby crosstoby » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:13 pm

Sounds great, Jeff...I don't think those changes are likely to enhance my game on Sunday, but it should be fun---

Jon
crosstoby
President

Re: What can/can't a TD do with a weekly?

Postby zz » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:58 am

Great ideas Jeff!  The only mando that seems kinda unfair/luck shot is the 13A.  I have looked at that line though for fun....lefties should rip up your mandos!!!!

If I TD ever I'd love to play the course reverse....
zz
Helluva Human

Postby ¡faes! » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:29 pm

Yeah, this will clearly be a lefty-friendly layout. The way I figure, given the standard lefty hazards of:
OB lines on 3
OB lines on 5
hole 9
hole 11
hole 12
cliff on 14
hole 15
hole 16
hole 17
It might be time to cut lefty some slack. But just for one week.

(sure there are some lefty-favored pin positions, but I can't think of a hole where every position favors left. Maybe hole 10, given the tree line on the right, but that's not exactly treacherous for the right handed majority.)

Know that I'll be the first to call out any TD that shamelessly changes the course to benefit their own playing style. For the record, I'm right handed :)
¡faes!
Forum Noob

props

Postby Orion » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:11 pm

I would blast any TD that set up a course to help his/her own game.

Sorry that I am going to miss this weekly as I am going out of town for the holidays.  Jeff have fun and thanks for grasping the true TD spirit.  Hope you shot another 43 or better.

Peace

O
Orion
Nebula

Postby pepe » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:49 pm

Jeff, not sure I'll make it, but another great mando would be to the left of the first tree on hole 8 (which is now in the center position).  Forces the right to throw an ahyzer like these other shots you're talking about.

As far as playing Safari holes during the weekly, I think that's a thing of the past. With the amount of people coming out on the weekends it can be disastrous in terms of time, crossing fairways, and the general disc golfing public unaware of what's going on.

BTW, I now have the 20 bag tag, and really should challenge you for #19. Maybe I'll play the late round with ya?

P
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby snyderman » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:46 am

Jeff,

I think it is fine that there are some changes to the layout. Since the Handicap system works off a mean it dose not affect handicaps as much as a normal system.

I would say that going left on Hole 13 is a little too extreme in my opinion.
snyderman
Ex Presidente

mando love

Postby hunt » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:42 pm

The mandos were a hit with our group this morning. Something different - keeps it fresh....... On 3 it's pedestrian friendly.
hunt
Forum Noob

Return to League Play