I propose that the low raw score per weekly win at least $20

This is the forum to view scores from and discuss the Sunday Weekly.

Should the low raw score per weekly win at least $20 ?

yes
60%
no
40%

Total votes : 20

I propose that the low raw score per weekly win at least $20

Postby hunt » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:35 pm

I propose that the low raw score per weekly win at least $20 (in addition to any handicapped standing winnings) to encourage better scoring and to keep the best players interested in coming to the weekly.

The club's game as a whole will improve when the competitive players are around.  If there's a separate competion for low score the motivation for these guys to come increases. The small $20 kicker will be symbolic - that on that day a player beat everyone else. Shooting a low score will mean a little more than it does now. The vast majority of money will still go to handicap play.

Hunt
hunt
Forum Noob

Postby hrc333 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:34 am

I very strongly disagree with this. If the purpose of the club, as it is stated, is to promote the spread of Disc Golf in San Francisco, than we need to make the Handicap weekly as beginner friendly as possible.  If you want a raw score tournament, play the NorCal Series.  That is not the purpose of the club weekly.  The purpose of the weekly is to encourage people who are just starting out to come out and get involved in organized play.  I think it is better for the sport of disc golf if we had 10 new players each week than it is if we had the top 10 area pros.  

I really don't care what the poll says here since it will only reflect people who are already really into disc golf.  (IE: You check a disc golf message board.)

The other point that needs to be mentioned is that most of the club income comes from Sunday morning, through memberships and disc sales.  This means WE NEED BEGINNERS TO SHOW UP.  They buy membership and discs.    I just don't see how rewarding raw score is beneficial to the goals of the club.
hrc333
SFDGC Club Hero

need beginners

Postby hunt » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:01 am

We do need beginners and new members. We shouldn't limit that. Would this stop them from coming and joining us? When I was a beginner I was attracted to the game by playing with the better players and learned the game by being around them.

Would it be unreasonable to accomodate both types of player - beginner/advanced , current member/new member? The low score prize of $20 represents only about 10 to 13% of the approximate average of last season's prize pool. It should motivate more our good players to come out to play on Sunday morning which would increase the overall prize pool, plastic sales and promote more mixing  of the entry level player with the advanced . Giving some recognition to the best score, while still paying out the large majority to handicap play, would allow the club to serve both the quantity and quality of disc golf play.

Perhaps an end of season low average prize that, since I bring it up, I donate would be a preferable way to go to promote competitive play at the weekly.  

At some point it would be cool to see a SFDGC team do battle against San Diego's team, Santa Cruz's, or any of the eight teams from California, Oregon, and Arizona that compete in the Southwestern Team Disc Golf Invitational each year (27th annual this year). These teams represent the core of competitive players at each of these clubs and do a lot to promote club pride, which can only help a club.
Last edited by hunt on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
hunt
Forum Noob

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:55 am

Why don't you/we just start a second weekly tournament for Raw scores, and if enough of these good players show up, they'll get a lot more than $20 from the group pot and not dip into the noob's cookie jar.  The noobs can watch the raw score players too.

Or start a poll for how many good players would suddenly start showing up on a regular basis if they had the chance to win $20, without the worry of improving on their own previous scores.  :)
Tim
(hasn't paid for 2010 yet)

Postby jahmon » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:48 pm

Guys.  Why don't we simply have a A and B pool for the weekly?  The club gets the same amount of money, new players can be encouraged and rewarded for better play through the handicap system, and the A pool of more advanced players can play scratch golf competitively.

Doug
jahmon
Forum Noob

Postby geo » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:19 pm

I agree with Hunt on this one. There should be a reward for shooting the best score for that week. Doesn't have to be money, but some form of reward.
geo
Decent Individual

Postby pepe » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:57 pm

lots of people have ideas for best score, A and B tier, yada yada yada. But the fact is, the weekly only has a few people really supporting its existence. If you truly care about the weekly, then sign up to be a TD rather than proposing yet another scoring/payout change.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby hrc333 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:31 am

Ok...just to clear a few points up....

The raw score winner each week at least gets his money back.  More than likely the raw score winner takes home more than that since they still win money in the handicap system.  

Second, we do have an overall price for the season raw score leader.  In the past it has been a sweatshirt (which Dave W. has a few).  So it is not as if we are ignoring raw score all together.

As for separate tiers or weeklies, I will simply echo Peter's comments.  We have a hard enough time getting people to TD the one weekly we have.  If you really want to help out the weekly, please sign up to TD.
hrc333
SFDGC Club Hero

ouch

Postby hunt » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:36 pm

Even if I hadn't been the weekly TD at least 4 times, as a member I should have the right to  :wink: make a suggestion on this forum. Why else have a forum but to exchange ideas?
hunt
Forum Noob

Postby crosstoby » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:45 pm

As a guy who has also run a few weeklies, I like the idea of a second pool for raw scores.  I wish we'd had one this past weekend...there was a great turnout, and many really good players showed up.  How about: if a TD or anyone else who's there wants to collect a second pool, we can do a raw score payout for those interested.  I can offer it up on a trial basis this weekend.

JT
crosstoby
President

Re: ouch

Postby pepe » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:53 pm

hunt wrote:Even if I hadn't been the weekly TD at least 4 times, as a member I should have the right to  :wink: make a suggestion on this forum. Why else have a forum but to exchange ideas?

because we said so dammit. Haven't you seen the hammer and sickle stamp Hunt? Jeffery = Stalin. I = Lenin

;)

Nah I'm just referring to the general apathy in the club right now. There are many people who play all the time and haven't volunteered for much...and I was making a general point.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby Tim » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:41 pm

I can put back the hammer and sickle buttons for the forum's "post new topic" button...if you want.
Tim
(hasn't paid for 2010 yet)

Return to League Play