Safari for High altitude players

The SFDGC hosts an annual PDGA tournament in August.

Safari for High altitude players

Postby B-John » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:54 pm

We are really looking forward to this event. Being from a mile high (base-sometimes 2 miles high). We are used to pretty open/long holes, with technical stuff when available. Are there any words of advise for a couple of intermediate(very int.) players that will get 2 rounds(at best) of practice? From the course map, we can't really tell how tight this course is. We're guessing having a few shots in the bag would help. Rollers? Thumbers? Grenades? Any ideas as to what we should try to practice? Putting is a given. But any tips on clothing, things to carry(do we expect to be wet in the am.....)would be greatly appreciated.
Can't wait to meet you all. This looks like a real classy event compared to what we see out here.
Aaaahhh! Thick air!
B-Well
J- :D
B-John
Forum Noob

Postby kylecrispin » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:10 am

This advice is from a very "very int." player  :) .  If you are used to big open holes I would say get out on the front nine and figure out some lines through the trees (mostly holes 4-7).  

You should also get your BALCO on so you can compensate for the thick air.
kylecrispin
Helluva Human

Safari-BALCO

Postby B-John » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:32 pm

I'll be in the right area for that.....I think. Barry?  :lol:
From what I see, the holes don't really exceed 410 ish. Fortunately for me, I barely throw that here, so it'll feel like the same struggle in thicker air.
Are tha am's pretty wet (grass or fog wise)? I planned on bringing a rain poncho and a change of socks. :?
B-John
Forum Noob

Postby hrc333 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:31 pm

It can rain that time of year and the ground can be wet cause of the fog.  Morning or Afternoon :)  Also it can be cold in SF in August,  like 50's.
hrc333
SFDGC Club Hero

Postby geo » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:50 pm

Your discs won't hyzer nearly as much at sea level, very important. Bring a variety of beaten discs or newer discs as things will turn over easier here. I have a very good thumber and have yet to use it on the permanent course except for a couple of scrambling upshots. Roller is out of the question as most of the park is sandy dirt(not many holes to use on anyways). You'll have a great time here :)
geo
Decent Individual

Pants or no pants?

Postby B-John » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:37 pm

I usually wear shorts when playing. Is it advised to wear pants for this course (poison ivy, or thorny bushes etc?) Long sleeves? Hat vs visor? Extra baby powder? Just kidding on the last one.
Hope everyone is ready for some disc golf!!!!!! So excited for this course and event! :twisted:
B-John
Forum Noob

Re: Pants or no pants?

Postby zz » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:07 am

gold bond medicated....the stuff of champions!
zz
Helluva Human

Postby les swift » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:08 pm

No poioson oak to speak of, but layering the apparel is important. The chill kicks in quickly.
les swift
Badass Mofo

Thanks all!

Postby B-John » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:34 pm

Appreciate all the 411. We'll see ya for dub's tomorrow! 8)
B-John
Forum Noob

Return to SF Safari