A Little Cheese with That Whine?

The SFDGC hosts an annual PDGA tournament in August.

A Little Cheese with That Whine?

Postby ross » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:50 pm

For those of you don't look regularly at the PDGA discussion board:
http://www.pdga.com/msgboard/showflat.p ... Post707001
ross
SFDGC Club Hero

Postby gkolcun » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:46 pm

Hey Ross-

You're doing a helluva job getting this thing together for the Safari, not to mention all the hard work that went into the course in the first place.  Everybody who plays the course should really try and find some time to shake your hand.

Thanks again for all you've done.
gkolcun
(throws minis)

Postby hrc333 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:59 am

WOW.  Rich is a little upset that he did not get his registration in on time.  Oh well, his loss.  I have no doubt that this year the safari will be awesome.

I also find it so funny that people are against non-PDGA members playing.  Do they not understand that is how you make a sport grow.  The only way we will see disc golf grow and take hold is to get as many new players play in PDGA events as possible.  It seems like PDGA members should be really excited to see so many new tournament players playing the Safari. I know that the SFDGC is excited about this and we will continue to encourage new players to step up and play in PDGA tournaments.  This is how you continue to make a sport grow.

Ok, stepping down from my soap box now.
hrc333
SFDGC Club Hero

wow is right

Postby Orion » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:39 am

I just spent some time reading that message board.  holy cry babies.  why is it that grown men don't get there way they flame other people for there short comings?

As a non PDGA member playing in my first tourny I am put off by some of these responses from current PDGA members.

DG if FUN and free of BS, right?
Orion
Nebula

Postby pepe » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:08 am

If someone wants to offer me some cash for my safari spot, I'd think about selling it to them. Bidding starts at $500...

;-)
pepe
NorCal Champ

PDGA message board

Postby Senior » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:53 pm

As a current PDGA member, I don't support the negative comments made in regards to the 2007 Safari. I don't think everyone understands the sacrifices made in order to have the event this year. I for one really appreciate the hard work that goes into an event like the Safari and the local players that made it possible. Thanks
Senior
Forum Noob

Postby Senior » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:22 pm

hrc333 wrote:WOW.  Rich is a little upset that he did not get his registration in on time.  Oh well, his loss.  I have no doubt that this year the safari will be awesome.

I also find it so funny that people are against non-PDGA members playing.  Do they not understand that is how you make a sport grow.  The only way we will see disc golf grow and take hold is to get as many new players play in PDGA events as possible.  It seems like PDGA members should be really excited to see so many new tournament players playing the Safari. I know that the SFDGC is excited about this and we will continue to encourage new players to step up and play in PDGA tournaments.  This is how you continue to make a sport grow.

Ok, stepping down from my soap box now.

As a fellow soap box stepper......

I think the current members are excited about seeing new players at events. But that is not the problem, and that is not why you saw a discussion regarding priority for registration to popular events like the Safari.

Every year there are many repeat non-member entrants to an event like this. This would not be an issue except for the fact that this is very important event in terms of the NorCal Series. Most of the players in the series are current PDGA members. I would like to see a closed registration period that includes several TD exemptions. Those TD exemptions would be for any players the TD thinks should get in member or not. Once the closed reg. period is over then the event opens up for anyone member or not. Granted, this may not have made any difference, but in my opinion it could make all the difference.

Having a closed (members only) registration period is currently something a TD can do if they so choose, but it is not mandatory.

All we want for the future is a way to ensure more spots for NorCal series members at a sanctioned series event. So please don't think we want to keep new players out. We would appreciate it if the players who attend these sanctioned events year after year without ever joining the PDGA would finally join and get a rating etc... There is a big difference between a player who has never been to a sanctioned tourny, and a player who plays quite a few sanctioned events every year and never joins the PDGA....
Senior
Forum Noob

Postby kylecrispin » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:40 am

Wow.  That thread on the PDGA forum really grinds my gears!  That attitude is exactly what turns casual players away from becoming more serious about the game(and joining the PDGA).
kylecrispin
Helluva Human

Postby Senior » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:39 am

Which thread? If you were to join and partake in the actual discussions and do some research on the topic, you would see many differing views, and many in support of non-members playing in sanctioned events. As a matter of fact, I myself am supportive of this, but that does not mean that having a certain period of time at the beginning of the registration period just for PDGA members is a bad thing. Also, this event is part of the NorCal series, and the last pro/am event before the Championships. Don't you think that if you were a regular in a series fighting for points, you would want some priority treatment? No one wants to bar non-members and discourage new players. But at the same time, if it is a sacntioned series event, some pro players feel they have more at stake and deserve some allowances. To top it off it is simply a discussion. The main posoition of the current PDGA policy is to allow non-members to pay a $5 fee and get a temporary membership for the weekend. That is a very fair and inclusive attitude if you ask me. So please don't judge the PDGA based on a simple discussion about providing a short closed registration period for members at future events.
Senior
Forum Noob

Postby pepe » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:09 pm

double post
Last edited by pepe on Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby pepe » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:09 pm

There was plenty of time for Nor-cal regulars to get in. There's really zero excuse for any serious disc golfer, knowing that the Safari is an important event, not to get their checks in on time. Zero.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby Senior » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:22 pm

I agree with that completely. Take me for instance. I preach to the players that the time for early pre-reg has come. I get into every event because I am aware of that fact.

But, that does not mean that in the future, especially given the popularity of many NorCal events, that some benefit can't be given to PDGA members at sanctioned events. All we are talking about is a simple closed registration period for a week or two prior to allowing non-members to reg, and its only a discussuion about it, not a policy.
Senior
Forum Noob

Postby pepe » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:41 pm

Senior wrote:I agree with that completely. Take me for instance. I preach to the players that the time for early pre-reg has come. I get into every event because I am aware of that fact.

But, that does not mean that in the future, especially given the popularity of many NorCal events, that some benefit can't be given to PDGA members at sanctioned events. All we are talking about is a simple closed registration period for a week or two prior to allowing non-members to reg, and its only a discussuion about it, not a policy.

Dude, I'd bet you can preach away, but disc golfers being what they are stereotypically...

:lol:

I doubt if a week long closed reg process would make all that much of a difference. Now, this has been a fruitful discussion...but I've got to practice my putting!
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby mofo313 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:05 pm

I might have missed this but is the Friday mixed doubles going to be on the tourney courses or the permanent 18?
mofo313
(throws minis)

Postby les swift » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:25 am

It will be at the Marx Meadow course. Far too much work involvde to set up and break down for an evening on the temp.

See you out there.
les swift
Badass Mofo

Next

Return to SF Safari