That was fun

Club events such as meetings, parties, fundraising events, tournaments, etc.

That was fun

Postby pepe » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:53 pm

The weather was perfect, the shots were different, the wait was long, but it was worth it. Thanks to everyone who came out and played and became instant SFGDC 09 members!

Out of curiosity, which were your favorite holes? Which were your least favorite?

I loved hole 3 (despite a 5p), and 13.

If I had to re-do it again I would have done something different with hole 4.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby faes » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:46 pm

18, 16, 13, 5, 3 stood out to me, but every position was fun. The short 6 was even a great must-birdie hole (I didn't). That would be a fun permanent D position. Except that D sounds harder, so maybe it could be (A2) or (A-)?

Thanks for everyone that made this event happen-- Peter, Orion, Becky, Jeffrey, Scott, and anyone else I'm forgetting to mention. I'd be curious to know if any other club - anywhere - could rival our turnout for a fundraiser event with 0 payout. Really amazing.
faes
(throws minis)

Postby Stick » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:01 pm

Had a great time while I was there. Liked the layout. I would like to see some of the positions used more often. 1,3,5,7,8(but dangerous for 9's tee),9,10,11,12,14,15,18
Thanks for all the hard work everyone who contributed. And nice 6 down Jeff.
Stick
NorCal Champ

Postby dantarango » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:21 pm

I loved 5, 6, 7,9 11, 13, 14, 15, 17,and 18
hated none.
I would love to see more of those positions used in the weeklies. That was an awesome setup. Wow can you believe we had 177 people? That is more than the safari tournament, of 100. 177 people, and no cash or script payout, c'mon let see another club pull that off.
looks like we have a new King of the Course, WAY TO GO JEFF FAES.

Thank you Orion, Snyder and Pepe, and all you other folk for a great CTP. Thank for the great food, Levander did a GREAT JOB grilling!!
Lefty Love
dantarango
NorCal Champ

Postby kimchi » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:11 am

i'd be curious to know if we have the biggest scene in the country now. it is totally insane to 177 folks out there, all at once, all joining the club, and playing in the no payout event where everyone get's an impermanent trophy.

that was a sick party, too. we kept it going well after wig's group made it back. and that's pretty late!

kudos to the organizers and workers.
kimchi
(throws minis)

Postby kimchi » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:49 am

also,

in my dumb *( | )* end of the day state i left our brewery's banner behind. i'm hopeful someone who was wrapping things up at the end was gracious enough to snag it for me. so if you know anything about it, please let me know... post it here or PM me your phone #.

thanks
kimchi
(throws minis)

Postby Matt_Kelly » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:37 pm

I actually liked all the new positions -- with the exception of 16. I couldn't really see the OB line from the tee, so I ended up playing it much safer than necessary.

14D seems like a big improvement over the position over by the the erosion area. And I'd like to see 12D used more as well.

I'd like to see the mando that was set up temporarily last week on 11 be set permanently for the sake of safety on hole 12.

Thanks to the club for a great time.

Matt
Cool Beans! Magazine and Records
http://coolbeans.com
Matt_Kelly
(throws minis)

Postby pepe » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:21 pm

Matt_Kelly wrote:I actually liked all the new positions -- with the exception of 16. I couldn't really see the OB line from the tee, so I ended up playing it much safer than necessary.

14D seems like a big improvement over the position over by the the erosion area. And I'd like to see 12D used more as well.

I'd like to see the mando that was set up temporarily last week on 11 be set permanently for the sake of safety on hole 12.

Thanks to the club for a great time.

Matt

One of the 09 tasks for the club is to permanently delineate all OB with peeler core. The meadow adjacent to hole 16 will be defined much better in the future (not that it made any difference yesterday!).

We can reinstall the netting on 11 which basically enforces the mando there.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby crosstoby » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:36 pm

Kim--

I picked up the brewery banner when I was cleaning up last night...I have it in our garage. I'll be glad to walk over next time we see each other out there---

JT
crosstoby
President

Postby kimchi » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:27 am

crosstoby wrote:Kim--

I picked up the brewery banner when I was cleaning up last night...I have it in our garage. I'll be glad to walk over next time we see each other out there---

JT

thanks JT! glad you got my back! you the man!
kimchi
(throws minis)

Postby kimchi » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:42 am

i agree with matt kelly that it'd be cool to see some of those sleeves permanent.

some of them definitely need to be for special events only. but 17 would actually improve flow and be a lot safer for peds coming up the path where often discs come out of no where at high speeds (even if it is a less epic shot). many holes; 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 wouldn't really create more erosion or any other complications than already occurring.
i think 14 D is better, safer, and would cause less erosion than the C pin.
kimchi
(throws minis)

Postby joegraham » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:43 pm

I loved 3, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14!!!, and 18. Had a great time. Good to see new positions and challenges. Great people and so much beer and food. I lucked out and shot well too. Here's to a new year full of great golf!!! Thanks to SFDGC and all the volunteers. The course didn't open up until #6, so maybe #3 could be short next year to pick it up a little and get people moving right off the bat. What about extra holes? :twisted:
joegraham
Helluva Human

Postby brandonandre » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:09 pm

I can't stand the suspense anymore....I keep checking the forum to see what tag I earned!

GREAT COURSE!!! It owned me.

That was my first organized event....I hope all in my future live up to the high level of quality & camaraderie I experienced!

Thanks to the Club, organizers, grillers, Anderson Valley Brewing Co & Billy, Moylans, Mark, Adam & Jason!

I'm ready to play for tags!!!
brandonandre
Forum Noob

Postby ross » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:41 pm

I esp. liked #3, 7, 13 and 18. I'm not a big fan of sticking baskets so close to trees (or inside groups of them) that good tee shots are not rewarded (there were a number of those).

Thanks to *everyone* who made the day a success. I will never cease to be amazed by what we have all created here in SF. We have a great core of committed people who step up to make things happen rather than just bitch and moan about them. As a golfer I'm also really impressed with how in such a short time we have developed a pretty large group of skilled players.

SFDGC Rules!
ross
SFDGC Club Hero

Postby pepe » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:41 am

ross wrote:I'm not a big fan of sticking baskets so close to trees (or inside groups of them) that good tee shots are not rewarded (there were a number of those).

Look who's game sh*t the bed...

LOL, O, Dave, and I designed the course with you in mind :roll:
pepe
NorCal Champ

Return to SFDGC Club Events