Ongoing Course Maintenence/Tweaking

This is the place to veiw upcoming work parties and report maintenance issues that need to be fixed on the course.

Ongoing Course Maintenence/Tweaking

Postby Q » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:29 pm

Howdy,

As people begin playing the course we are going to discover little things that need tweaking. What is the process for approval/implementation and who will be responsible for them?

For example:

--> The transition from hole #17 to the tee for #18: most people walk back up the path on the fairway for #17 and cut over to the tee, instead of walking out to the road, as planned. We need to acknowledge that this is what people will do, and build a very small extension from the path on #17 to the tee for #18. Otherwise it is simply going to wind up one big path, and looking like sh*t.

--> Hole #14: most of that hillside to the right of the current pin position is sand, and is already starting to give way under much use. Not sure what we should do, but we need to do something. We're two weeks into it, and erosion is obviously going to be an issue.

Many more, I'm sure. Those are just the two I noticed out there.

- Q -
Greg - Q -
Club Founder
"I went to play golf and tried to shoot my age, and shot my weight instead." - Bob Hope
Q
Decent Individual

Postby pepe » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:09 am

I'm resurrecting this thread since it is something the disc golf club plainly needs to do: keep an ongoing maintenance thread so that you all can go out to the course and get some stuff done when you feel like it.

As always, trash remains an issue on the course. The bluegrass festival left some nice trash. Let's please pick up their mess...especially the new sleeping spot on hole 15! that looks awful!

Please kindly remind your fellow golfer to pick up after themselves. It makes a big difference.

I'm compiling a list of all maintenance needs for each hole. Please add or subtract to this list as conditions change.

Hole # Issue
practice basket erosion around basket...need a wooden box spiked into ground around basket to keep chips in place
1 Area around tee pad needs work
1 Front of tee pad needs paver
3 Front of tee pad needs paver
4 broken tree protections
4 path eroding, need extra peeler core
4 A pin eroding, need more plants
5 erosion in front of paver
6 erosion controls needed around b and c pin (drag and set eucalyptus logs from 7c towards 6B?)
7 broken tree screen
8 broken tree screen
11 broken tree screen
11 Mando sign on the tree
12 set up drip irrigation system for trees.
14 chips!
15 more chips needed at tee box
15 more terracing needed for B and C pins
16 terrace all pin positions and chip afterwards
17 Chip path, get rid of massive chip piles
18 Broken Net at tee box
Last edited by pepe on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby les swift » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:02 am

Thanks for starting up the list, Pete. Now that the 'season' is over there may be more time for my participation with the course maintenance again.
I'll give a call.
les swift
Badass Mofo

Postby pepe » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:24 am

cool Les...look forward to it.

For anyone who can, there is a huge amount of wood left by the park behind the 14 tee at the moment. It would take a crew of three or four people about an hour to take a bunch of this wood in the wheelbarrows down the path on 17 to where the path is eroding. We could set these into the ground a bit, like Orion and I did for hole 18, and it would shore up that entire hillside. Perhaps after the weekly tomorrow some folks could get together and chip in? I can't make the weekly but I can stop by after my soccer game.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby pepe » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:00 pm

much love to the crew who helped out today and took care of the path on 17!
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby kimchi » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:46 pm

impromptu is my style! thanks to you pepe for rallying the troops.
kimchi
(throws minis)

Postby pepe » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:04 am

The sign looks great! Thanks so much to Les and crew that installed that, took care of the 4 pin issue, and cleaned out the pin sleeves on 18 and elsewhere....Nice work!

There's lots of chipping to be done if anyone feels motivated. Some fresh chips are behind the 14 tee.

Hopefully we can get our plant list and plan approved and get going on that before the bulk of the rains come.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby pepe » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:51 am

With the rains here, we need to act fast to chip the tee area of hole 15 as well as the path from 14 to the tee area. The tee itself gets all muddy and can be a bit dangerous. This is a simple, quick task, and shouldn't take more than a half hour to do with a couple of people and two wheelbarrows. Plus, in case you haven't noticed, there's a HUGE pile of chips by the 14 tee box...

so if you have the time, please chip this area! The sooner the better!
pepe
NorCal Champ

fresh load of chips on #14

Postby Orion » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:10 pm

Looks like you have a nice load off the tee pad of #14 for a little chip party.
Orion
Nebula

Re: fresh load of chips on #14

Postby pepe » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:39 am

Orion wrote:Looks like you have a nice load off the tee pad of #14 for a little chip party.

I'm gonna tackle that issue the day after Christmas. Anyone want to help me?
pepe
NorCal Champ

#14 Hill and #16 Basket

Postby crosstoby » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:56 pm

Steve A, Dino, Mark R and I moved two truckloads of chips from #17 today. The first load went to the hill area next to 14A where PB laid down a bunch of chips and logs to shore up the hillside. Dino continued the work of building a retaining wall in front of the basket at 16 out of logs he dragged up from the foot of the meadow. The second chip load went to this newly built-up area surrounding 16A. It looks pretty cool. A few barrows of chips made their way down to 11C, too. Thanks to Idol for the use of the truck---

JT
crosstoby
President

Postby crosstoby » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:34 am

...and Steve and Dino kept working for another couple hours on Saturday, building another log retaining wall around 16C and filling it with chips. These areas look much better and their efforts will really help with the erosion too.
crosstoby
President

Re: Ongoing Course Maintenence/Tweaking

Postby pepe » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:53 pm

I got to play the back nine today, and I think the course looks great with all of the rain and green growth. There are a few things that I think need addressing:

1) finish the peeler core OB for the meadow
2) set up irrigation system for new trees: it's been a nice rainy past month or so...but I'm betting that is over soon. Then the rubber will hit the road as we'll need to water these suckers for the next year and a half until they're firmly established.
3) fix the tee area on hole 1. Ken the gardener will help. Peeler core an area, chip it, create a path off the tee, and delineate the rest for ken to sod (he'll rope an area off like at the picnic tables right now)
pepe
NorCal Champ

Re: Ongoing Course Maintenence/Tweaking

Postby linhely » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:02 pm

For anyone who can, there is a huge amount of wood left by the park behind the 14 tee at the moment. It would take a crew of three or four people about an hour to take a bunch of this wood in the wheelbarrows down the path on 17 to where the path is eroding. We could set these into the ground a bit, like Orion and I did for hole 18, and it would shore up that entire hillside. Perhaps after the weekly tomorrow some folks could get together and chip in? I can't make the weekly but I can stop by after my soccer game.
linhely
Forum Noob

Return to Course Maintenance