whoever it is that is cutting down trees

This is a place for club members to talk all things Disc Golf and all things non Disc Golf.

whoever it is that is cutting down trees

Postby pepe » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:40 pm

Please stop. We need all the trees we can get out there.

Also, this is for everyone. Please pick up after yourselves. The park is a pack it in, pack it out place. It's not that hard!
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby Tim » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:16 pm

Where are trees being cut down? I did notice what seemed like a new gap in 11 where you can practically shoot straight through now.

I wish we/they had a garbage/recycling on the path between 10 and 11, i think that would help things a lot.

I pack my trash out, but I have to walk a ways after hole 9, in the opposite direction, every time.

Seems like the trash is especially bad on the few holes after that area, almost like people just get sick of having to haul trash for all 18 holes. (or to 14 or whatever I guess there's a couple cans, but I notice the most trash on 11, 12, 13.

What is it that gets a course like De La to have lots of trash cans nearby, is that the club doing it or the rangers around there?
Tim
(hasn't paid for 2010 yet)

Postby pepe » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:12 pm

this keeps on happening. Please, whoever you are, stop sawing tree limbs, making windows (like on hole 10 near the C basket), etc. We like the course having as many hazards as it does. Making it easier is not fun for most of us.
Have some respect for the course and for those of us who built it. PLEASE STOP NOW!!!

Tim, the course is specifically pack it in pack it out. The trash barrels on JFK are not that far from your walk from 9 to 10. There is no excuse for us, in this day in age, in a supposedly green city, to leave our trash anywhere, not to mention on the disc golf course.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby Tim » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:41 pm

Well i don't argue with that at all, but you also can't argue that if we had more cans around, people would be even less apt to litter. De La stays pretty clean, presumably one reason is because they have cans at almost every hole.

It's pretty much true of all courses I visit, the trashier ones have less trash cans. Napa/Novato are an exception, but neither are they in an urban area chock full of homeless folk and others that aren't just there to disc.

If there's ever a course that needs more trash cans, ours is one of them. I wish we could get the trash folk to pickup one at the end of 10, and maybe one at 14 or something at least. It's not like all trash on our course is because of disc golfers, there was trash before we came in.

I'd say I've even seen an increase of trash near hole 1 when they moved the cans about 20 feet further from there.

People are lazy... Trash cans would help if we had a way for the garbage men to realize that the trash isn't solely SFDGC-related. But I think this was all part of our deal and boils down to us having volunteers committed to emptying trash cans, if we're even allowed to have them at all.
Tim

Postby zz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:34 am

The cleanest courses I've visited throughout the US don't have any garbage cans. Pack your trash!!!
zz
Helluva Human

Postby snyderman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:15 am

We can not put trash cans on the course because the Parks Dept.
Will not dump them for us. Also if they were to bring their trucks in they would damage the course.
snyderman
Ex Presidente

Postby Tim » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:52 pm

zz wrote:The cleanest courses I've visited throughout the US don't have any garbage cans. Pack your trash!!!

It seems worthy to note if these courses are in a large urban park that is always full of homelss and picnicers, or not, that makes a HUGE difference.

Here's my take of nearby courses:
Hellyer - Dirty. it's by a freeway and very few trash cans.
Moraga - Fairly clean. People don't go to this area very much if they are not golfing.
Novato - Clean. Again, nobody that isn't discing will be in this area very often.
De La - Parking lot - dirty. Course - clean. Lots of garbage cans and nobody is really here if not discing. (a few bikers maybe).. What happened to the trash car that used to be there btw? :)
Napa - Clean. Ditto.
Zephyr Cove. Ditto.
Bijou - This one *would* be dirty if they didn't have trash cans all over the place probably, as it's used by lots of folks that don't disc golf. (but very few homeles).
Golden Gate - The most dirty. Very few garbage cans, lots of homeless and in an overused area of a giant urban park.
Condon Park - Clean! There are not many garbage cans but nobody else is in this area but discers.
Penn valley - fairly clean. Not a very crowded area usually. But not many garbage cans either.
Felton - clean except the holes right by the school full of kids playing in the park.

(the other nearby courses suck! j/k )

Just saying, it's related to number of people and number of garbage cans.
I'm NOT advocating littering, we should pack it out. Garbage cans would help if we could do them, but we can't.

Thanks for the explanation of why we don't have more trash cans.
Tim

Return to General Disc-ussion