Interesting Disc golf map link

This is a place for club members to talk all things Disc Golf and all things non Disc Golf.

Interesting Disc golf map link

Postby Tim » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:04 pm

http://referential-integrity.com/DiscGolfCourseGmap/

I wish they'd always have an "all choices" option in menus like this, it would be interesting to zoom out on the US to see the distribution of courses.
Tim
(hasn't paid for 2010 yet)

Postby pepe » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:12 pm

nice. the reason there is no "show all" is because there are too many to show on one map at the current time. Computers and javascript can't handle it.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:58 pm

How about just a "united states", I saw later they have countries there.
Tim

Postby evilmousse » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:27 am

nihao--glad y'all like the site~

exactly correct, javascript would be really unhappy with thousands of markers to manage. plus your browser's memory useage would probably sop up like a sponge.

i do have an intended solution however, and it fixes a current problem too. when i find the time (read:never) i'm going to look at implementing different icons at different zoom-levels, including some kind of 'several courses on this spot' icon, hopefully with the count of courses on a spot that would otherwise be overlapping icons. but that's probably a while out yet, as i'm not seeing the time to get back to tinkering on hobby projects showing up any time soon. i'm still adding photos and correcting course locations as always however.

internationals are harder for me to have because i don't have zipcodes to estimate the inaccurate listings. i hate to have just a few accurate icons and nothing else on a country that has 95% inaccurate listings, but i don't have the time to eyeball each of them myself. i did however do all of canada's by hand.

anyway, corrections are always appreciated, enjoy the site!
evilmousse
Forum Noob

Postby pepe » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:33 am

evilmousse wrote:nihao--glad y'all like the site~

exactly correct, javascript would be really unhappy with thousands of markers to manage. plus your browser's memory useage would probably sop up like a sponge.

i do have an intended solution however, and it fixes a current problem too. when i find the time (read:never) i'm going to look at implementing different icons at different zoom-levels, including some kind of 'several courses on this spot' icon, hopefully with the count of courses on a spot that would otherwise be overlapping icons. but that's probably a while out yet, as i'm not seeing the time to get back to tinkering on hobby projects showing up any time soon. i'm still adding photos and correcting course locations as always however.

internationals are harder for me to have because i don't have zipcodes to estimate the inaccurate listings. i hate to have just a few accurate icons and nothing else on a country that has 95% inaccurate listings, but i don't have the time to eyeball each of them myself. i did however do all of canada's by hand.

anyway, corrections are always appreciated, enjoy the site!

the thing you can do quite easily at the national level is to make a tile layer which you can now include code to make them interactive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYqfT9i1las

I have software which automates tile layer creation if you're interested...
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby evilmousse » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:27 am

let me get back to you, i can't watch that video at work.

i'm running off this friday with 15 other guys for a the 2nd of a so-far-annual discgolf roadtrip trip through stlouis, memphis, and kansas city, so i'll have new pix soon, but no time for development for a bit ^_^
evilmousse
Forum Noob

Postby Tim » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:49 pm

Too bad the icon for our course on your map couldn't be similar to our map link that someone made: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 19956&z=16
Tim

Postby evilmousse » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:10 am

well, i'm picking my battles. getting accurate driving directions for every course in the us is a years-long endeavor to begin with.. mapping hole and tee locations is something i'll consider once it's done. there are other dgmapping sites that are focused more on such, whereas i focus mine on aiding that roadtrip outta town. such as sandalman's old site (pdga webmaster, dunno why he never pushed this up) http://www.earthoffice.net/discgolf/directory/ And for photos, playdg.com and http://discgolfphotos.com/ Frankly, I often see people make a site for mapping every hole n tee of their local courses, and then they get disinterested and the page just sits. I've been slowly trucking on this for at least 3 years. i'm debating whether and how to get the pdgapage's external info links onto my page. the infowindow popup is already crowded, and though i'm no artist, i want to keep it from getting too ugly or filling the whole mapscreen on smaller monitors...

i watched half of that video (it's long!) and i'm not sure that'll suit my needs, but i'll comment more once i can get back from my upcoming roadtrip!
evilmousse
Forum Noob

Re: Interesting Disc golf map link

Postby Tim » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:41 pm

I noticed that this link is broken now... :(
http://referential-integrity.com/DiscGolfCourseGmap/

Are you still reading here evilmousse? If so, is that map still available anywhere? that thing was awesome...and it seems like it should still be around but I can't find it in searching google maps.
Tim

Return to General Disc-ussion