Anyone used Google Earth

This is a place for club members to talk all things Disc Golf and all things non Disc Golf.

Anyone used Google Earth

Postby Tim » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:59 pm

I dig those maps that many disc golf sites have, the satellite ones with the markers.  It might even help put the course on Google maps rather than directing people to "30th and JFK".

Anyone used Google Earth before and feel like making one for the club for GGP course?  Holler if you're interested.
Tim
(hasn't paid for 2010 yet)

Postby pepe » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:29 pm

I can do this. We could embed a map in the website.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:56 pm

Nice #$@!ing work Pepe.

WE NOW HAVE A COOL SATELLITE MAP OF GGP COURSE!

I updated this page:
http://www.sfdiscgolf.org/courses/directions.html
(or)
http://www.sfdiscgolf.net/courses/directions.html

I'll just leave the ancient stuff at the bottom unless someone shouts to remove it.

Pepe,
I didn't wanna use that embed script you sent.  It uses an iframe.  In order to fit in the middle of our site, and for the site to remain somewhat functional in people's various screen sizes, I would have to shrink that down to like 300 pixels wide.  When I do this, you mainly just see the stuff to the left and very little map.  Said differently, it kinda looked like crap.

They have a new AJAX API for google maps.  I will try to use that to embed it in the directions page instead.  You can take off the stuff at the top I think, like the option to use Google to search for other maps in the tiny embedded window on our site. And, you can control the width of the left side and the map itself, etc.

I have pending questions to Google before I can do it:
1) You have to get an API key per website.  We have .org and .net with one set of files.  I wouldn't know which one to get a key for, and couldn't get a key for both.

2) It seems to rely on latitue and longitude and not an existing cool little map with arrows and whatnot like you made.  I can't believe that they wouldn't have planned for these things, I'm sure I just can't find the answer in the docs, so I posted to their discussion group for a response.

May not work, who knows.

But, this is very cool and better than the directions we had.

Thanks!
Tim

Postby pepe » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:29 pm

you should be able to use the map key for both sites.

I can save the little map of the tees that I made as a kml file and you can easily reference that in the api. Barring that, I can easily get you an array of lat/lons if that makes it easier.

Too bad embedding it looks like crap. There should be a better way to do it and make it look presentable in most browsers...
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby Tim » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:58 pm

If you make the kml file, can you send it to me?  I probably won't have any time to research that API for a few days.  I'd rather leave it like it is than switch to needing long/lat and not have your cool arrows and pics.   :)
Tim

Postby Khao Pra » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:51 pm

the picture for samui is a bit dated, but you can find the first tee on the disc golf course here on the island of koh samui at...

9°32'31.48"N  100° 1'40.00"E
Khao Pra
Forum Noob

Return to General Disc-ussion