out of bounds

This is a place for club members to talk all things Disc Golf and all things non Disc Golf.

out of bounds

Postby pepe » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:46 am

this is a topic that I don't have a definitive opinion on, nor do I know the official PDGA rules, but I think that we should discuss because at some point, if it hasn't happened already, someone's going to get pissed off about whether or not a disc is in bounds or out.

We have stones on many holes that denote OB. The question is, how do we interpret them? On hole 5, it has always been the path that is out. But where, exactly does the path begin and in bounds end? The stones are not set right on the path. On 15/16, the stones mark the "edge" of marx meadow. But the grass is not cut all the way to the stones. If a disc lands outside the stones but in rough grass, is it in bounds?

We need a definitive OB rule that is consistent course-wide. What do you all think?
pepe
NorCal Champ

I second that motion to clearly mark the OB on the course.

Postby Orion » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:41 pm

The areas around the paths ways are easy enough to make a call on but the pine forest on #15 is sort of a grey area, as well as the medow on #16.
Orion
Nebula

Postby hrc333 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:23 pm

This may not be official but here is a little background of the OB markers.

We have always played and planned for OB to be the path.  When we went to place the OB markers, we were told that they could not be on the path line because this was to close to allow vehicles to pass on the path.  So we moved the OB markers in but planned to still play the path as OB as well.

As for the meadow, the same situation comes up.  Because of mowing we can not put them on the exact mow line.  Therefore the meadow rocks are like the path rocks in that they are located off of the actually line of OB.

As for the trees to the left of 15, the stone are located between the big trees that are the actual line for OB.  They are technically on the line.  

So in Summary:
The path is OB not the rocks on 2,3,4,5,13,14,15,17 & 18.
The meadow cut line is OB on 11,15 & 16.
The rocks mark the OB line of the trees on 14,15 & 16.  

When we play the Safari there will be rope hung to mark this so there is no confusion there.
hrc333
SFDGC Club Hero

Re: I second that motion to clearly mark the OB on the cours

Postby pepe » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:52 pm

Orion wrote:The areas around the paths ways are easy enough to make a call on but the pine forest on #15 is sort of a grey area, as well as the medow on #16.

not always. I've seen discs land on a small patch of grass on hole 5 that is completely surrounded by sand and looks to be on the edge of the path, and people are like, "it's in!", despite looking out to me.

Perhaps we can keep the rope lines in after the safari as the official OB markers.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby hrc333 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:09 pm

The ropes will be considered trip hazards and will need to be removed.  Sorry
hrc333
SFDGC Club Hero

Postby boston93430 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:35 pm

I usually play the trees on 15 ob from the first path to 17, follow the nets along the rocks, up to the far path that loops up.  Is this how it was meant to be?  That's how it looks on the tee sign.
drive for show, putt for dough....

"You can play as well as you can imagine.  Believe it then see it."
boston93430
Helluva Human

Return to General Disc-ussion