Poll about online Course Walkthrough

This is a place for club members to talk all things Disc Golf and all things non Disc Golf.

Which way do you like better?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:02 pm

HTML Image Maps RULE!!!
50%
FLASH ME!!!
50%

Total votes : 4

Poll about online Course Walkthrough

Postby Tim » Thu May 31, 2007 6:02 pm

Hi,
Jeffery and I are working on a course walkthrough online.  There are 2 ways we feel might work for this, and thus I'm polling the gang:
1) HTML image map
2) Flash movie embedded on page

These examples are VERY rough and just to give you an example to vote your preference if so inclined.

Poll option 1 is an HTML image map.  For this example all holes have a clickable transparent button over them.  Click a tee or pin.  Right now they just link to a hole 17 "dummy" page but gives you the idea. (use back button for now to get back to map)
Here's the link:
http://www.sfdiscgolf.net/coursemap_test.html

Poll option 2 is an embedded Flash movie.  For this example, ONLY TEE AND PIN 5 HAVE A BUTTON TO CLICK
Here's the link:
http://www.sfdiscgolf.net/coursemap_test2.html

Note: Until we finalize the flash one, if chosen, you may have to click once to active that file in IE browsers.  

Essentially, the HTML image map method will load a little quicker initially.  However, you may notice that when you click any button, it has to be a link to a completely new HTML page, so each time you click you'll wait a little bit of time for the entire page to load up.  There is no special browser plug-in required for this method.

The Flash method loads a tiny bit slower initially, the advantage is cooler animation ability and you do NOT have to change HTML pages and wait through HTML pages reloading every time you click.  For Flash movies, you need the flash player browser plugin, and we'd have a link to it (it's free and safe).  If you can see the map then you already have the flash player browser plugin!  

Note that we would actually add a different map that has the tee and all 3 A, B, C pin locations, with pictures of each that you can click...  

Don't forget to vote!!!
Tim
(hasn't paid for 2010 yet)

Best Golf Site I've Seen

Postby Q » Thu May 31, 2007 8:32 pm

Tim,

It's very coincidental that you're working on this, because I was going to send you a link to my favorite golf website I've ever seen. It's for a ball golf course, but they really do a great job of showing you how the course plays from each tee (in our case, it would be to each pin).

Take a look at: http://www.ivgc.com/tour.html

Best. Golf. Site. Ever.

Option to go back to the main map available at all times, different views from the fairway. I was envisioning something with different pin positions, and different views for each pin from the tee, fairway, and edge of the green.

But then again, I'm not building the thing...
Greg - Q -
Club Founder
"I went to play golf and tried to shoot my age, and shot my weight instead." - Bob Hope
Q
Decent Individual

Postby Tim » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:14 pm

That IS pretty awesome, isn't it? :)

They are using Flash! :)

I can get that functionality working, but maybe not make it look as nice as theirs does.  

By the way, who has all the artwork for the hole signs and map?  That's what I need to start making a mockup.  I've been waiting for Jeffery to get back.  

I've changed my flash sample to show my thoughts of starting with the main map, then narrow down to a hole, then it'd show the hole map with the A, B, C clickable, but I don't have all the artwork to try to make it look real yet.
Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:31 pm

This link is updated and photos this week!
http://www.sfdiscgolf.net/coursemap_test2.html

Feedback / change requests welcomed.
Tim

Postby les swift » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:42 pm

Some very cool work going on here guys! Can't wait to see the finished product.
les swift
Badass Mofo

Return to General Disc-ussion