Practice Basket as a Gift For Disc Golf Hubby??

This is a place for club members to talk all things Disc Golf and all things non Disc Golf.

Practice Basket as a Gift For Disc Golf Hubby??

Postby Discgal » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:08 pm

My husband has asked for a practice basket as a Christamas present. There seem to be lots of choices -- any advice?
Discgal
Forum Noob

Re: Practice Basket as a Gift For Disc Golf Hubby??

Postby zz » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:23 pm

There are two main levels of disc golf baskets...portable vs. not.

Portable ones are very nice for the beach, camping or carrying out to a park. They aren't the real thing, but work fine. The big issue with these is how long they last. They are not made for being left outside and over a few years the mechanism that allows for collapsing tends to break. These can be had for 100.00-130.00 about. The only two worth considering are the innova skillshot and the dga mach lite. I'd go for the dga mach lite myself having owned both baskets.

Permanent baskets are heavier, more expansive, but catch better and last longer. There are two main levels in this category..cheaper and the real deal. Real deal ones are suitable for permanent installation and will weather the elements being left outside for decades. The cheaper ones main drawback is that left outside they will rust in 1-3 years. cheaper ones are innova sport discatcher and the Lightning DB-5. Real deal ones are innova pr discatcher, dga mach 2, dga mach3, dga mach5 and discraft chainstar. cheaper ones are in the 150-200 dollar range and real deal ones are 300-400. I'd consider each of these models as they all have pros and cons.

Long and short...get him either a dga mach lite or a real deal mach2 or mach5 portable. The dga machlite is the best choice I think since I assume this is his first basket. Its a great starter...and will grow with him as a portable even if he ends up with a better basket. If he is set on a real permanent basket...bite the bullet and get a mach2. This is coming from someone who owns a skillshot, mach lite, innova sport and a mach5.

cheers!
zz
Helluva Human

Postby Stick » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:50 pm

ZZ is correct in his assessment of baskets. And here's my view. If you want a basket that folds up as one piece and stores easily DGA is decent. If you want a metal one that can hang out in the back yard and break down and fit in your car. I suggest an Innova portable disc catcher. I have one in my yardand I take it to the park for longer throws. Breaks down into 4 pieces. I don't think he'd be disappointed with it . I payed 190ish. It's the best basket for under $200. We even use it as an extra hole at tournaments.(pescadero hole 2) After that baskets will start to run 300-450. Much better baskets, come with a tilt wheel to haul around or can be permanently installed in your yard. They are not the easiest to take to a field for practice. But if that's what you want go with DGA. That's what most courses around here have.
Stick
NorCal Champ

Postby dantarango » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:55 pm

I also agree with the two gentlemen before me, but... If you arent looking to spend a lot of money then I would suggest looking on ebay for an instep basket. I got mine for 84 dollars shipping included, and all I did was go to Home Depot, and spend 6 dollars on chains, to add to the inner, to give the two chain effect. It is light, breaks down very easily, and can stay outside in all weather. I have had mine for 3 plus years and always setup outside. Very portable.
Lefty Love
dantarango
NorCal Champ

Postby PURPLESKUNK » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:58 am

Hi Discgal
We have an Innova portable basket at the Skunk if you'd like to see it in person. Need to make room in the shop. If you'd like to buy it, I'll make a nice deal for ya. Lizzie Skunk
PURPLESKUNK
Decent Individual

Return to General Disc-ussion