Pescadero Creek DGC

This is a place for club members to talk all things Disc Golf and all things non Disc Golf.

Pescadero Creek DGC

Postby Stick » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:04 am

I was unable to go out on Sunday due to laryngitis, but I know a number of people were able to see the course. I'd like to know what you think. So lets hear the hype.
Stick
Stick
NorCal Champ

Re: Pescadero Creek DGC

Postby dantarango » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:22 pm

starting out on Hole one, with the distance and openness, it proved to be a great location for a great course. If there was a way to bypass the residence on the left, that could be a tier A top course for Ca. But that is just my opinion.
Lefty Love
dantarango
NorCal Champ

Postby Stick » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:19 am

I asked for opinions from people who have seen the course but most of you have only heard about it from the hype that's being spread at GGP. So let me tell you a little about it.
Pescadero is not a course for the beginner or even a novice player. We have enough coures for that. Am2's will even have a very tough time. To be honest it caters to the advanced and pro players. We are trying to create a World class course or even what some would call a next generation course. That means it will give even the best players a hard time. Don't get me wrong, it does have a few easy holes (aces and deuces) but it has some ball breakers too. It has several legitimate par 4's and even a par 5. Huge elevation changes. Lots of opportunities for lost discs. Someone walked it last weekend with a pedometer and said it was over 5 miles of walking(plus the hills). You WILL be tired after just one round.
If you shoot in the upper 60's, 70's or more for 18 holes at GGP, you'll probably throw 100 or more for 21 holes here. It's tough. If you think Stafford lake is to much of a hike you won't like Pescadero.
I'm not trying to scare people off, I'm just being realistic here. I want people to know what they are in for if they play it. I would not bring a beginner. This is, for lack of a better term, a pro course.
Stick
NorCal Champ

Postby todd » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:29 am

good!

we need more courses like this in norcal.

looking forward to playing it.
todd
NorCal Champ

Postby pepe » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:55 am

The course is NASTY. I'd advise thinking twice about playing here for anyone who has less than a 900 rating. Anyone who does play, bring lots of plastic since there are ample opportunities to lose discs. Note there are NO BASKETS HERE YET.

Here is a general description of the holes:

Hole 1: 500ft downhill, often into a stiff headwind, with NASTY impenetrable/unplayable coyote brush on the left and a tree lined gully on the right. A course couldn't have a more intimidating start.

Hole 2: an uphill chuck that doglegs right. A difficult 3 with many trees in the way. Some poison oak out there too.

Hole 3: a 500' rip over a small tree covered ravine to a hillside pin

Hole 4: little moraga: downhill 310...pretty open but them oak trees
will grab the bad shots

Hole 5 little SF: a tight wooded shot with a gully on the left. Many
possible pin placements which could alter the shot

Hole 6: little Novato: uphill 400', pin nestled in small grove of
trees

Hole 7: 300' downhill, with scary drop off deep

Hole 8: 400' flat open shot gets narrower towards pin

Hole 9: 230 flat tunnel shot that creates havoc if you can't throw the disc straight.

Hole 10: 280' slightly uphill tunnel, gully on left. cool pin position
up on bluff to the right

Hole 11: a sweet 240' shot in mature oak trees. Anhyzer right, pin
located under awesome oak tree

Hole 12: putter's delight. 200' through window and out amongst the
coyote brush

Hole 13: Now we're talking. 450' flat at first then downhill. Tree
line on right makes it difficult. Pin placement in small grove of
trees

Hole 14: 485' lovely rip. Must avoid initial oak trees

Hole 15: 910' dogleg left off tee into wide, flat, open fairway. Next
shot must clear coyote brush at the end of meadow as well as stay to
the right of tree line. Then downhill towards the pin. Par 5

Hole 16: 425' uphill. tree line on left, pin past tree line to the
left. Nasty hike...a legit par 4.

Hole 17: 325' uphill. Hazards are trees on the left and grove in the
middle of the fairway.

Hole 18: 375' Dogleg left along rolling terrain. Must stay out of coyote brush on right and out of mature oaks on left.

Hole 19: 250' hard right dogleg, must stay on or near path to get a
bird. Anything else is tough.

Hole 20: 250' easiest hole on the course. Flat out on the path. A
must birdie

Hole 21: 450' back towards park road along path to pin placed on bluff. Harder than it looks.
Lots of wind. Paved road OB. Lost discs possible/likely in brush on right. Pin placement will play havoc in the wind.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby Stick » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:18 pm

When Peter says uphill and downhill he means it. If hole 1 isn't 100' below I'd be surprised. Then it's the same but gentler climb up for hole 2 which is pushing the envelope at a par 4. Hole 3 actually drives over the fairway for 14, probably 80' or more in the valley below. So it better travel at least 350' to clear the valley. 300' just to clear the creek in the bottom. Basket is probably 20' below the tee pad. Hole 15 is probably 20' change in elevation form the tee to the fairway. Flat with coyote brush for about 400'. Then the last 150' drops 50-60' to the green. It's a two tiered hole. You get the idea. Trouble awaits everywhere.
Stick
NorCal Champ

Postby breazealeian » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:32 am

That place is like a pitch and putt man. It's a good place for recs to practice 120ft drives. All the weekenders with lids that play in groups of 10 at GG should head out there. Hehe, ya right. Only got to play five or six holes because I got there late, I know cry me river. Anyway, course has ridiculous potential. Hole three had Peremba, Jesse, Travis and I giggling like children after every drive. The par five hole is pretty gnarly too. This place needs to be permanent. Bring your big arm if you want to have any fun.
Sometimes you just gotta throw that Gator!
breazealeian
Helluva Human

Postby Stick » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:03 am

If anyone would like to see some pictures you can go to svdgc.org. They are posted on two different posts next generation courses and pescadero.
Stick
NorCal Champ

Postby crosstoby » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:10 pm

I anhyzered a shot on the first hole wa-a-a-ay off to the right. I wonder if any of these guys saw it?

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... llscreen=1

You have to watch this.

JT
crosstoby
President

Postby k3vIn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:12 pm

OH! HELL! YEAH!

actually, i think i should have just capitalized HELL... seriously though, you guys have been doing a great job so far, this IS a PRO layout, and I say that from an AM2 perspective, with less than a 900 average. STILL, i had a GREAT time playing this course. i am certain that EPIC is not an understatement of this one, fellas (and ladies). thanks for the invite out this past sunday. i have played a LOT of courses around the bay area and norcal, and all the courses in tahoe (except kirkwood), and i've never seen an uphill shot like #16. there is a reason that Peter noted this one as a legit par 4, and yes, i did make par on this one, with an 8 foot putt. sweeeeeet! even so, i think making a three on #16 would be a serious accomplishment. also, i had one birdie 2, and several other looks at birdie 2's on this course amongst the looooong par holes....

glad to say i got to pitch in some sweat equity on a couple of the early tees, and a portable basket so we could play the last 9 holes. i think with quite a bit more work on teepads, some good signage, and permanent baskets (pray to the good people that manage the Pescadero Creek County Park) this will become a serious destination for the global disc golf community. i have to agree with stick that this is the future of disc golf, or at least the future of disc golf that i want to see and play. not for the faint of heart. the ups are WAAAY up, and the downs are VERY down (i mean, seriously kids... hole #1 has as much vert as 'top of the world' in SC).

can't say enough about the potential of this place. with some more work from bay area locals, support from the local jurisdiction, and uhhh, some more work from the bay area locals, we can have a truly amazing, forward looking, disc golf heaven right in our back yard. 2015 worlds bid anyone??

let's do it.
k3vIn
(throws minis)

Postby k3vIn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:14 pm

p.s. i lost a salmon colored star stingray to the right on hole #1, and a st paddys day sparkle aftershock to the left on hole #20, if anyone is wondering... phone # and name is on both. give me a call!
k3vIn
(throws minis)

Postby breazealeian » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:16 pm

Wow JT,

When did people start flying?
Sometimes you just gotta throw that Gator!
breazealeian
Helluva Human

Postby dantarango » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:43 am

Stick, you were looking at a basket that would make little noise, for the one neighbors sake. I think I have a solution, why dont you just grease down the chains like hole #4 at GGP?
Lefty Love
dantarango
NorCal Champ

Postby pepe » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:02 am

We had a few people drop off the invite list for this upcoming saturday's one round of 27 holes at Pescadero Creek County Park. So is there anyone interested in coming? You MUST be at least an Am2 rated player (900 or better), love to hike since the course itself is about 10,000 feet in length and will have an elevation drop and gain of at least 800 feet, don't mind losing discs in high grass/virgin disc golf land. Reply to this thread and I'll set you up...
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby Kevin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:10 pm

Peter,

can you add me to the list for this Sat. Played Stafford the past two weeks, my arm is tanned, rested and ready.

thanks

Kevin E.
Kevin
NorCal Champ

Next

Return to General Disc-ussion