Wooden, Bamboo, Rope: Homemade disc golf baskets?

This is a place for club members to talk all things Disc Golf and all things non Disc Golf.

Re: Wooden, Bamboo, Rope: Homemade disc golf baskets?

Postby Stick » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:07 pm

No Wraith of Stick. Sorry if I came off harsh. When Peter originally approached MPOSD, the lady he talked to said she did some research on discgolf and saw that we used metal baskets. She told Peter that the metal baskets were not what they would like to see in the parks. That was the only reason she gave at the time. So we figured if we could come up with some sort of wood basket, maybe replacing metal chains with rope. (Then they would have to find another excuse.) Something that would blend in with the environment. Even though we know how hard it is to see a basket 300 feet away sometimes. I have liked a few wooden baskets we've seen so far. But I wonder how well rope chains would work. We hoped that would change their minds for the first course and then later down the road use more of their land with real baskets.
FYI: these baskets have nothing to do with Pescadero. Although Pescadero could help with Mid- Peninsula OSD.
Stick
NorCal Champ

Postby JPB » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:53 pm

You guys are awesome.
Some of these ideas are great.
I especially like the idea of taking one of those Hawaiian bamboo poles and putting a basket on it. Maybe part of a wine barrel like the AVBC ones?
Heck, if done right, it might even pass the tech standards for PDGA approval. They're really not that stringent about it. A lot of people don't realize that the standards don't even require chains or any sort of deflection device.
As for the people with "status quo tunnel vision" of metal baskets, I tend to agree with the "if you don't like it, don't play" response.
Don't get me wrong, I understand the desirability they're voicing, just don't tend to agree with the apparent lack of ability to compromise and keep the big picture in mind.

I think there are any number of ways a good carpenter could make perfectly good baskets out of natural materials, with just a little imagination and collaboration with a disc golfer.
I'll bet it's already been done somewhere.
The only real challenge to me seems to be the deflection device.
Pieces of bamboo hanging from ropes works for me. Probably even make a cool sound ...

The main point though, is that you guys are awesome.
:D

Cheers,

- JPB
JPB
Forum Noob

Postby Tim » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:30 pm

If wine barrels come into play I can probably get some of those free at work. Hell, it'll be French Oak too, and if you suck it you might get drunk.
Tim
(hasn't paid for 2010 yet)

Previous

Return to General Disc-ussion