keeping track of bag tags?

This is a place for club members to talk all things Disc Golf and all things non Disc Golf.

keeping track of bag tags?

Postby faes » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:30 am

An idea I had last week:

It seems that most people like knowing who has what bag tag. Transparency can only help the ongoing shuffle of tags...

Does anyone agree that it would be a good idea to write your new/current tag number in an extra column at the end of weekly score cards? If this isn't a too much extra work and data entry for Scott (Scott, please weigh in on this), it could be posted along with regular weekly scores. (Name, tag #, adjusted score, raw score) This would of course be voluntary, and I wouldn't expect everyone to participate. If someone wants to keep their tag# private, that's lame, but fine by me. I think most people would want to list their tag, and see where others landed week to week.

My guess is that this would start small, with only a few groups remembering to list tag #s on their score cards. As people continue to see tag #s posted with the weekly scores, I think more and more people would remember to do it, until it becomes a normal part of playing the weekly. If people really support this idea, we could make sure that the weekly score cards are printed with a column for tag#.

I can't think of a reason not to do this, unless it IS a lot more work for Scott to enter. I already appreciate the amount of time Scott puts into the weekly data, so I wouldn't want to add anything extra that might contribute to burn out.

Anyway, please list opinions on this. I'll assume that Scott's take should carry the most weight.
Last edited by faes on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
faes
(throws minis)

Postby doublejack » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:14 pm

Concur.
Well done is better than well said. - Ben Franklin
doublejack
NorCal Champ

Postby todd » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:48 pm

great idea!
todd
NorCal Champ

Postby breazealeian » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:40 pm

Definitely!
Sometimes you just gotta throw that Gator!
breazealeian
Helluva Human

Postby zz » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:07 pm

Although I agree, I think it would be cool to add that stat to the weekly cards. I think it would also be cool to have the weekly or certain weeklies be bag tag challenges where your tag us up against all who play that week. Of course logistics on that seem too hard...or harder. But my real point was is there an easy way to do this...or additional function. Like a thread on here. Or more organized like: http://www.milehighdiscgolf.org/ in addition to the weekly stats.
zz
Helluva Human

Postby pepe » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:56 pm

http://www.milehighdiscgolf.org/tags.php

Very well organized. There's no reason the SFDGC couldn't do this.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby pepe » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:58 am

I beat out Al and Cribber during the sopping downpour yesterday to take #15.
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby snyderman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:05 am

It would be nice to be able to track Tags.
It's just a matter how to implement it so it
is not too much work for the TD and the person
submitting the weekly results.

As for me my time is getting tight and I'm having
difficulty staying on top of the current Disc Admin stuff.

So at this point it's a matter of figuring out how to do it and who will do it.
snyderman
Ex Presidente

Postby Tim » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:28 pm

Would people post them online themselves if THAT were an option? (maybe the membership person (scott) could start it off each year)

It's not too hard to add it, for example, to the profile page (click profile) by either using an existing field and renaming it, or adding one, so it is stored in the database and uses our already-existent login system through the forum. And then just a page that displays your name, your tag # and orders them by lowest tag first.

Downside to doing that with PHPBB forum software? it doesn't already ask your first/last names, and therefore could only display these by username.

We could similarly do it with our already-existent blog software. But nobody uses that, I think we even disabled commenting there.

It would be far too time consuming for me personally to implement any other new login system to the site. If anyone else would like to, go for it.

Or if you think the forum idea might be cool, we could implement that in the near future.
Tim
(hasn't paid for 2010 yet)

Postby snyderman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:52 am

First off, sorry if I was a little negative in my previous post.

I was thinking that maybe we can use the Forum to track BT's.
I could list all the names that play the weekly (maybe sorted by the everyone's current Mean) and then everyone can update their number by editing the post.

Tim - is it possible to allow edit rights to everyone for just one post?

The problems I see with this method is:
1. people could put false numbers by their name or someone else.
2. Will players actually update their bag tag number?

This would be the easiest method as far as work for the TD and the weekly poster.
snyderman
Ex Presidente

Postby zz » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:05 am

I think we should have one master location listing page on the website separate from the forum. Basically a large table that would be easy to update for a select few. Then we create a few methods for input. I agree that these always would suffer from the chance that someone would report false info, but its a start and I doubt that will happen too often. I also think we should just start this with the black tags...and then move on.

First input method is a forum for tags. When people play inform rounds they post what happen...ala orion, peter and I played on Wednesday the 25th. Orion is now 13, peter 16 and nick 23. These new changes would then be updated on the master list.

Second input method would be as simple as weekly members indicating what tag then started with and ended with from the weekly round on the scorecard. Again, this info would be added to the master list.

Finally, the other input method I can think of would be an email and or voicemail for changes. I don't think this is needed, but the above two methods don't account for casual tag rounds where neither members have internet access.

I also agree that all this fat fingerin' is additional work for Scott. I'd be happy to help out with the table updates from the forum posts.
zz
Helluva Human

Postby doublejack » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:10 am

Just a thought — what about simply using a Google spreadsheet. I threw up a test version; anyone interested can add their name and tag #.

With a little more than the 60 seconds of thought I put into it, we might be able to better track the dates, etc., to more easily tell what's current.

This is totally disposable — if it has some value, great. If it never goes anywhere, no problemo:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... w0IjfFS8aw
Well done is better than well said. - Ben Franklin
doublejack
NorCal Champ

Postby pepe » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:56 am

worked for me Bill...
pepe
NorCal Champ

Postby joegraham » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:05 pm

Very easy, very cool. Let's put this on the home page for easier and consistent access.
bang da chains
joegraham
Helluva Human

Postby crosstoby » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:56 pm

Nice work, Bill---that took just about no time at all. Thanks for setting it up.

JT
crosstoby
President

Next

Return to General Disc-ussion